Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert T Robert T is offline

Default Margins reported as being in error

Word 2007, HP 5180 printer.

My HP printer is capable of printing to .25 in from all edges (.28 in from
bottom). I have margins set at .5 all around. Each time I go to print, I must
answer a message that margins are outside of printable area. This is a
nuisance but does not stop me from printing. I would like help in eliminating
the message.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Check the setting of the header and footer margins. Some versions don't take
these into account, but if you've changed them to, say, 0", they might be
responsible for this message, and you could easily reduce them to, say, 0.3"
without affecting your top and bottom margins.

"Robert T" wrote in message
Word 2007, HP 5180 printer.

My HP printer is capable of printing to .25 in from all edges (.28 in from
bottom). I have margins set at .5 all around. Each time I go to print, I
must
answer a message that margins are outside of printable area. This is a
nuisance but does not stop me from printing. I would like help in
eliminating
the message.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert T Robert T is offline

Suzanne; Thanks for the hint. Let me ask a real beginner (for Word)
question. Are the header [and footer] positioned in the "margin" area. In
other word, if margins are set to 1 in from top, is the header after that 1
in of between the top of page and 1 in?
--
Robert Tankersley CDP

"Robert T" wrote in message
Word 2007, HP 5180 printer.

My HP printer is capable of printing to .25 in from all edges (.28 in from
bottom). I have margins set at .5 all around. Each time I go to print, I
must
answer a message that margins are outside of printable area. This is a
nuisance but does not stop me from printing. I would like help in
eliminating
the message.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes, this is different from WordPerfect. The top and bottom margins set the
top and bottom of the document body area. The header and footer margins
establish the distance of the header and footer from the edge of the page.
So, using the default 0.5" header/footer margins, the header starts at 0.5",
and the footer ends at 0.5". If you have header/footer content and add to
it, the header or footer will expand from that point toward the document
body and actually push it down/up if necessary (this can be useful).

If your header or footer is empty, it usually doesn't make much difference
what the header/footer margin is unless Word looks at that in deciding
whether your document extends into the unprintable area (some versions
actually don't notice this, but more recent ones do).

"Robert T" wrote in message
Word 2007, HP 5180 printer.

My HP printer is capable of printing to .25 in from all edges (.28 in
from
bottom). I have margins set at .5 all around. Each time I go to print,
must
answer a message that margins are outside of printable area. This is a
nuisance but does not stop me from printing. I would like help in
eliminating
the message.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert T Robert T is offline

Thanks for this information. I will go back to my document and check.
--
Robert Tankersley CDP

margins Error Nasrin Mailmerge 1 June 18th 07 01:03 PM
How insert the punctuation for reported speech automatically? Barrie Eliasson Microsoft Word Help 0 November 6th 05 03:33 PM
Task 'pop3 - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Unable to fi Alan Microsoft Word Help 1 June 20th 05 04:39 PM
Margins "fixed" still throw error Steve Garry Page Layout 1 June 3rd 05 10:29 AM
Is under-reported hyphenated or one word? Angelfire Microsoft Word Help 1 February 24th 05 05:02 PM