Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BARRY BARRY is offline

Default Increasing Outline Numbering Levels

I have need to creat the following outlined number style list

1.01 Heading 2
Normal Text
1.01.01 Heading 3
Normal Text
1.01.01.01 Heading 4
Normal Text
2.01 Heading 2
Normal Text
3.01 Heading 2
Normal Text
4.01 Heading 2
Normal Text

The part I seem to be having problems with is incrementing the first number
without having a line of text that is at the level one outline level.

From "Adjust List Indents" Dialogue, there is an option to select my various
level, tell it what number I would like it to start at, and be able to tell
it to apply this from this point on.

However, when I do this either nothing seems to happen, or the list will
rejion the previous list

I currently managed to get something that looks the way I want, by fooling
around with numbering, but it's a bit of a house of cards that i'm afraid
will screw up when I try to add stuff, and the numbers don't appear correctly
in the table of contents or cross refference lists.

To summaryize:
1. Is what I'm trying to do possible
2. Is what I was trying to do through the "Adjust List Indent" window the
way to do it?
3. If not, what is?
4. And if that is the way, what am I doing wrong then?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Sauer[_2_] Mary Sauer[_2_] is offline

See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Mary Sauer
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Barry" wrote in message
I have need to creat the following outlined number style list

1.01 Heading 2
Normal Text
1.01.01 Heading 3
Normal Text
1.01.01.01 Heading 4
Normal Text
2.01 Heading 2
Normal Text
3.01 Heading 2
Normal Text
4.01 Heading 2
Normal Text

The part I seem to be having problems with is incrementing the first number
without having a line of text that is at the level one outline level.

From "Adjust List Indents" Dialogue, there is an option to select my various
level, tell it what number I would like it to start at, and be able to tell
it to apply this from this point on.

However, when I do this either nothing seems to happen, or the list will
rejion the previous list

I currently managed to get something that looks the way I want, by fooling
around with numbering, but it's a bit of a house of cards that i'm afraid
will screw up when I try to add stuff, and the numbers don't appear correctly
in the table of contents or cross refference lists.

To summaryize:
1. Is what I'm trying to do possible
2. Is what I was trying to do through the "Adjust List Indent" window the
way to do it?
3. If not, what is?
4. And if that is the way, what am I doing wrong then?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Does heading 1 appear before each heading 2 change, but is unnumbered, that
is you do not want a number to show? If so, redo your numbering scheme so it
includes heading 1 with its number formatted as hidden (& no tab or space
after the number); then set heading 2 to restart after heading 1.

I'm not sure that the 1.01.01 format is possible. Well it's possible, but at
ten, it would look like 1.010.01 or some such.

PamC

Mary Sauer wrote:
See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

I have need to creat the following outlined number style list

[quoted text clipped - 35 lines]
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I believe you can restart numbering after Level 1 even if Heading 1 is
unnumbered (no need to format the numbering as Hidden).

http://word.mvps.org