Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Adeel Ahmad

Default Unwanted section break Mail Merge

Hi,
I am using Word 2003, Mail merging from a VB program. I have predefined
template in which some data is to be merged (Letter). Each time only one
record is to be merged from a data file.
I have a footer at the end of the page.
Now my requirement is to print the footer only on first page. I have set the
option in Page Setup.
But when i am done with MailMerge and new document is saved, it inserts a
new section break at the end. This section break (continuous) takes extra
space and a blank page is added with only the footer.
Can anyone help me how to avoid this. I dont want the section break at the
end. There is only one record so no new doucments are to be created for each
record.

Thanks,
Adeel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Word's form letter mail merge does not insert a section break if you merge
only one record from a data file, so either your section break is in your
template or your vba routine is inserting it.

Adeel Ahmad wrote:
Hi,
I am using Word 2003, Mail merging from a VB program. I have
predefined template in which some data is to be merged (Letter). Each
time only one record is to be merged from a data file.
I have a footer at the end of the page.
Now my requirement is to print the footer only on first page. I have
set the option in Page Setup.
But when i am done with MailMerge and new document is saved, it
inserts a new section break at the end. This section break
(continuous) takes extra space and a blank page is added with only
the footer.
Can anyone help me how to avoid this. I dont want the section break
at the end. There is only one record so no new doucments are to be
created for each record.

Thanks,
Adeel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Adeel Ahmad

Thanks for your post.
I have checked my code and template as well. And i cannot identify any
section break being inserted.
Whats happening is that my merged template does not have this problem. But
when i Save AS the output as a new document. It contained a blank page with
only the footer.
I have tried manually deleting the Section breaks by searching for ^b. But
in doing so, my footer elements do not get merged with data elements.
Still wondering on where to look for similar threads.

Adeel

Adeel Ahmad wrote:
Hi,
I am using Word 2003, Mail merging from a VB program. I have
predefined template in which some data is to be merged (Letter). Each
time only one record is to be merged from a data file.
I have a footer at the end of the page.
Now my requirement is to print the footer only on first page. I have
set the option in Page Setup.
But when i am done with MailMerge and new document is saved, it
inserts a new section break at the end. This section break
(continuous) takes extra space and a blank page is added with only
the footer.
Can anyone help me how to avoid this. I dont want the section break
at the end. There is only one record so no new doucments are to be
created for each record.

Thanks,
Adeel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Graham is not often wrong, but in this case I regret to say that he is, as a
Letter type mail merge does include a Continuous Section Break when only one
record is merged. If multiple records are merged, a Next Page Section Break
is inserted between each letter and a Continuous Section Break is inserted
after the last letter.

IF you are ONLY ever merging one record, change the mail merge main document
type to a Directory type. Then, no Section Break will be added when the
merge is performed.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Adeel Ahmad wrote:
Hi,
I am using Word 2003, Mail merging from a VB program. I have
predefined template in which some data is to be merged (Letter). Each
time only one record is to be merged from a data file.
I have a footer at the end of the page.
Now my requirement is to print the footer only on first page. I have
set the option in Page Setup.
But when i am done with MailMerge and new document is saved, it
inserts a new section break at the end. This section break
(continuous) takes extra space and a blank page is added with only
the footer.
Can anyone help me how to avoid this. I dont want the section break
at the end. There is only one record so no new doucments are to be
created for each record.

Thanks,
Adeel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Hmmmm! I'm not always right, but this time I checked before posting and have
just rechecked and still got it wrong . The reason why I did not spot the
section break was I that I was using print layout view and the last line of
the test letter ended at the right margin. This break can only be seen in
normal view - so apologies for that

However the merge letter I used had a different first page header/footer
with content in the subsequent page footer if required and merging to a new
page while including a continuous section break, did not cause a new blank
page to be thrown. So while I missed the continuous section break, I still
don't see why this was causing the blank page. There must be something extra
on the page to make it spill over.