Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gingerdog gingerdog is offline

Default putting footnotes into column format

Can someone tell me if it is possible to put footnotes into a two-column
format? It does not appear to be possible, but maybe there is a way that I
am unaware of.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not possible unless the text itself is in two columns, in which case it is
automatic and unavoidable.

http://word.mvps.org

"gingerdog" wrote in message
Can someone tell me if it is possible to put footnotes into a two-column
format? It does not appear to be possible, but maybe there is a way that
am unaware of.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TAHA TAHA is offline

Hi, I have a similar problem. I am typing a 500 page book which has many
one/two word footnotes. For example in the first two paragraphs it has 27
footnotes. Do you have any suggestions as how to put these footnotes so it
won't take up 27 lines as this will make the document's appearnace unsightly.
Thanks.

"gingerdog" wrote in message
Can someone tell me if it is possible to put footnotes into a two-column
format? It does not appear to be possible, but maybe there is a way that
am unaware of.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unsightly footnotes, maybe. But two things that make the
document's appearnace even more unsightly are your use of the
pronoun 'it' to refer to 27 footnotes and your use of words such
as 'appearnace'.

Seems to me that if the footnotes are only one or two words, then
you would be doing your readers a big favor by not bothering with
footnotes at all, and just entering the one or two words in the
text where you currently have a footnote reference. Why would
you want to force your readers to refer to the bottom of the page
27 times in the first two paragraphs???

Taha wrote:

Hi, I have a similar problem. I am typing a 500 page book which has many
one/two word footnotes. For example in the first two paragraphs it has 27
footnotes. Do you have any suggestions as how to put these footnotes so it
won't take up 27 lines as this will make the document's appearnace unsightly.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Because some reference styles require it, and publishers -- or
university dissertation committees -- are extremely strict about such
mechanical things.

If you have no contribution to make, and here you don't because Word
has no provision for changing the presentation of footnotes
whatsoever, why don't you make no contribution?

In FrameMaker you can group footnotes into paragraphs (using the run-
in sidehead feature), but even there you can't put two columns of
footnotes under a single broad column of text.

In Word you can format the paragraph mark as Hidden, which will
suppress the next footnote from starting a new line -- but, Suzanne
explained a while ago, Word still allocates as much space as the
separate paragraphs would have taken up. (If you don't have many, that
might not be entirely unacceptable. But with 27, no way. Will they let
you do endnotes?)