Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Default fighting with footers and section breaks

Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

In a long manuscript, I separated 2 chapters by inserting a "Section
Break/Next Page". Even though the footer in the second chapter does _not_
say "Same as Previous", when I change its footer, the change is applied to
both chapters. Works correctly elsewhere in the manuscript but I cannot get
it to do so in these chapters.

How do I resolve this dilemma?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default fighting with footers and section breaks SOLVED

Not true either. What you are seeing suggests that the SectionBreak Next
Page was corrupt and by changinging it to the continuous section break, the
bug was removed. Try changing it back to the Next Page break again.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
I discovered the problem. The Section Break has to be a continuous one not
a next page one. (Not exactly intuitive ........)

Jeff

wrote:
Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

In a long manuscript, I separated 2 chapters by inserting a "Section
Break/Next Page". Even though the footer in the second chapter does
_not_ say "Same as Previous", when I change its footer, the change is
applied to both chapters. Works correctly elsewhere in the
manuscript but I cannot get it to do so in these chapters.

How do I resolve this dilemma?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

"Reluctantly", I tried it and it seems to work now. Even so, I used "undo"
to go back to the saved version that worked for sure. (I hate to mess things
up: this is a 500 page book manuscript and I am approaching my deadline)
:-)

What would make the SectionBreak/NextPage become corrupt and why would
switching to continuous fix things? Should I assume the normal.dot file is
suspect?

Thanks.

Jeff

wrote:
Using Word 2002 in Windows XP.

In a long manuscript, I separated 2 chapters by inserting a "Section
Break/Next Page". Even though the footer in the second chapter does
_not_ say "Same as Previous", when I change its footer, the change
is applied to both chapters. Works correctly elsewhere in the
manuscript but I cannot get it to do so in these chapters.

How do I resolve this dilemma?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I guess that the corrupt footer was resolved by changing the section break:
but the real reason will never be known. One trick that usually removes
partial corruptions is to SaveAs in HTML or RTF, close it, open it and
SaveAs back to .doc format.

Terry