Bill Davy

Default Autocorrect: messages in ideographic language, and changes not saved

I removed and reinstalled Office 2003 and updated it but I still cannot have
autororrect save and I get the error message (I assume it is) in some
ideographic language. In the hope that someone can interpret thsi for me, I
attach it hough I do appreciate many epole do not like binary attachements
in newsgroups.
You help in fixing this will be greatly appreciated.
Bill

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Bill,

I removed and reinstalled Office 2003 and updated it but I still cannot have
autororrect save and I get the error message (I assume it is) in some
ideographic language. In the hope that someone can interpret thsi for me, I
attach it hough I do appreciate many epole do not like binary attachements
in newsgroups.

Looks like Chinese... If the suggest I'm going to make doesn't help, you should
take this to the word.international.features newsgroup.

My best guess is that Word thinks it's working in a different language than you
intend. In the Tips section of my website you'll find an article on language
formatting in Word. Read through that, and check the settings in each of the
three places it mentions. While you're in the Office Language Tools dialog box,
check the list of enabled languages specially for Asian languages, and remove
them.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Bill Davy

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Bill,

[...]

Thanks CIndy, but no joy so far. This is the only message which comes up in
a syrnage character set, and it is therefore asscoaietd (somehow) with why
autocorrect cannot permanently learn new mappings. I can live without
autocorrect so it is not a show stopper.

Rgds,
Bill

TF

Bill

My guess is that the .acl file is corrupt or in the wrong language.
Uninstalling/reinstalling Office rarely resolves any problems because many
files, templates and most of the registry entries are not replaced. The acl
file won't be overwritten because it is a user file. Find and remove the
..acl file: then open Word and run Detect and Repair. Test AutoCorrect again.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
[...]
: http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8 2004)
: http://www.word.mvps.org
:
:
: Thanks CIndy, but no joy so far. This is the only message which comes up
in
: a syrnage character set, and it is therefore asscoaietd (somehow) with why
: autocorrect cannot permanently learn new mappings. I can live without
: autocorrect so it is not a show stopper.
:
: Rgds,
: Bill
:
:

Bill Davy

That is the answer. Deleted all the .acl files files I could fine, did
Detect and Repair from Word, and it now seems to be working normally. Not
sure if anything good has gone but I am happy.
Bill