Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sleeper Sleeper is offline

Default Excluding page numbers in the TOC

I have 4 levels of TOC, but I want to only have page numbers on Level 3
I know you can add the switch to remove levels 1 and 2 { TOC \n 1-2 } but
how do you then tell it to remove level 4 but leave level 3.

Thanks in advance€¦.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Illya Teideman Illya Teideman is offline

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I don't think it is possible to do this
with the conventional Table of Contents. You can either have Page numbers
showing {TOC}. Page numbers not showing {TOC \n}. Or page numbers showing but
with one range omitted (i.e. not showing) {TOC \n 1-2}. The switch only
excepts one range eg 1-2. It does not have the ability to add more than one
switch eg TOC \n 1-2 \n 4-4, If you try this it will ignore the first switch.
There are ways of manually getting it to look the way you want (For example
using REF and PAGEREF or hiding the page number under level 4) but none of
them are easy and I wouldn't recommend them as they do not have the
flexibility of the click to update Table of contents. I don't know what your
document looks like but I'm guessing showing level 3 headings below level 4
will not be an option for you. My recommendation would be to lose level 4 if
at all possible then you can have a nice neat table with only level 3 showing
page numbers. Maybe someone else has an idea about how this could be achieved
easily without using the TOC.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U2xlZXBlcg==?=,

I have 4 levels of TOC, but I want to only have page numbers on Level 3
I know you can add the switch to remove levels 1 and 2 { TOC \n 1-2 } but
how do you then tell it to remove level 4 but leave level 3.

Have you tried \n 1-2,4 ?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sleeper Sleeper is offline

Thanks for that, I suspected as much.
Reason behinds request is that level 3 has main headings, but level 4 has
subheadings and the majority is on the same page. The client wants to show
level 4 on the contents page but the numbering looks silly when most of them
are on the same page as Level 3.
eg
MAIN HEADING.....3
subheading 1.....3
subheading 2.....3
subheading 3.....3
subheading 4.....3
subheading 5.....3
subheading 6.....3
subheading 7.....3

"Illya Teideman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sleeper Sleeper is offline

Tried that with no luck. Also tried
\n 1-2 4-4
\n 1-2 4
\n 1-2,4
\n 1-2 ,4
\n 1-2 \n 4-4

....also tried harsh language - no luck but it did make me feel better.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is in fact quite possible; it just requires sideways thinking. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mitPageNumbers ("Omitting
page numbers for noncontiguous levels").

"Illya Teideman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Illya Teideman Illya Teideman is offline

Devious indeed Suzanne!
TOC \n "1-3" \t "Heading 1,1,Heading 2,2,Heading 3,4,Heading 4,3"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sleeper Sleeper is offline

Ohhh Suzanne, thats so cunning! Works like a dream, thanks for that - made
life a lot easier.

Regards

Carl