Douglas Ayling

Default How do I make a solid line out of minus signs in Word?

How do I make a solid line out of minus signs?

I need one for when an author's name appears more than once in a bibliography.
It must be at the height of a minus sign so an underscore won't do.
Any thoughts?
Nick Hebb

1. Make the line using the minus signs.
2. Select the line.
3. Go to Format = Font from the menu and select the Character Spacing
tab.
4. In the Spacing dropdown, select Condensed, then increase the amount.
"1.5" worked for me.
5. You'll probably need to add some more minus signs in the middle
until the line extends to the full length again.

This line is defined as a three-em dash. To create it, insert three em
dashes, which in most fonts will provide a continuous line (if they don't in
your selected font, you can use Format | Font | Character Spacing to
condense them). To insert an em dash, use Alt+0151 (on the numeric keypad)
or Alt+Ctrl+Minus (on the numeric keypad) or insert from the Special
Characters tab of Insert | Symbol.

"Douglas Ayling" Douglas wrote in message
How do I make a solid line out of minus signs?

I need one for when an author's name appears more than once in a

bibliography.
It must be at the height of a minus sign so an underscore won't do.
Any thoughts?

Joe McGuire

I am not sure if this is really what you are looking for: You can also make
a horizontal line from margin to margin by hitting the "minus" key at least
three times and then pressing Enter. Make sure that the Border Lines box in
the AutoFormat As You Type tab is checked. The 6 characters below can be
used to make horizontal lines. To do so just type the character at least 3
times and them press Enter. If you just want the dashes or characters press
Undelete. You can get different lines by using these characters in this

Note that this procedure inserts a Border Line; you can't delete it as you
would usually delete any ordinary characters. To delete horizontal lines
position the cursor above the unwanted line. Click on Format, Borders and
shading. Click None and OK back to the document. The line should
disappear.

For a more detailed explanation see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm