SisterPurple

Default How do you make a Spline Label in Word?

I am trying to make a spline label in Word. A spline is the back of a
binder. I know there is a way to do it, but can't find where. Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do you make a Spline Label in Word?

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can create a spline label in Word:
  1. Open a new Word document and click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on "Text Box" in the "Text" section of the ribbon.
  3. Choose the "Simple Text Box" option.
  4. Click and drag your mouse to create a text box that is the size and shape of your spline label.
  5. Type the text you want to appear on the spline label.
  6. Click on the "Format" tab in the ribbon.
  7. Click on "Shape Fill" and choose the color you want for your spline label.
  8. Click on "Shape Outline" and choose "No Outline" so that your spline label doesn't have a border.
  9. Click on "Text Box" and choose "No Fill" so that your text box is transparent.
  10. Click on "Text Box" again and choose "Text Box Tools" "Format" "Text Box" "Text Direction".
  11. Choose "Rotate all text 90 degrees" so that your text is vertical.
  12. Adjust the size and position of your text box as needed to fit your spline label.

That's it! You should now have a spline label in Word that you can print out and attach to the back of your binder. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________

Actually, the back of the binder is the spine. You make the label the same
way you make any other document. Whether the label is the type that slides
in and covers the entire spine (as in "view" binders) or one that fits into
a label holder on the spine, you will be well advised to give up any idea of
printing on a piece of paper or card the size to go into the holder.
Instead, in a Letter/A4-sized document, create a text box the size of the
insert. You may want to give the box a very light gray dotted-line border to
make it easier to trim. Then place your text in the text box, horizontally
or vertically as desired.

"SisterPurple" wrote in message
I am trying to make a spline label in Word. A spline is the back of a
binder. I know there is a way to do it, but can't find where. Thanks.

Jay Freedman

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:11:03 -0700, SisterPurple
wrote:

I am trying to make a spline label in Word. A spline is the back of a
binder. I know there is a way to do it, but can't find where. Thanks.

I think you'll find it's called a "spine" rather than a "spline"... It
helps to know the manufacturer and stock number of the labels you
have. Word tends to favor Avery labels, but it has definitions for
about a dozen others.

Go to Tools Letters & Mailings Envelopes & Labels. Click the
Labels tab. Click the Options button. Set the Label Products dropdown
to the correct manufacturer. Then choose the stock number or product
name from the list.

Among the "Avery standard" products you'll find "Ready Index Spine"
and "TitleFrames Spine" in assorted heights from 1" to 3".

Click OK in the Options dialog, then click the New Document button in
the Labels dialog. If you don't see gray lines showing the label
edges, click Table Show Gridlines. You can type any contents into
the labels and print or save the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman