Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Judy Ward Judy Ward is offline

Default Inserting an Access db query

I have an Access database query that I am trying to insert into a Word
document. When I try to "Insert data as field" I get this message: "This
operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine failures.
Please try again later."

When I do not check "Insert data as field" I can see the table in my Word
document, but one of the fields has a lot of "?"s in place of the expected
data. The field that is causing the problem is a field that calls a function
that concatonates several fields together.

I can export this same query to an .rtf and do not get the strange output of
"?"s.

I would apprecate any suggestions as to what I can do to link this query to
the Word document so that it will update.

Thank you,
Judy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?SnVkeSBXYXJk?=,

I have an Access database query that I am trying to insert into a Word
document. When I try to "Insert data as field" I get this message: "This
operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine failures.
Please try again later."

When I do not check "Insert data as field" I can see the table in my Word
document, but one of the fields has a lot of "?"s in place of the expected
data. The field that is causing the problem is a field that calls a function
that concatonates several fields together.

The problem is likely the function (a custom VBA function?). These can only
execute if a DDE connection is made, which has Access actually running. I can
tell you how that can be done, if I know the version of Word you're using.

The other possibilty would be to do the concatenation as a query "field". Sort
of like this:
Multiplefields: [field a] & ", " & [field b]

Where Multiplefields would be the field name you'd see in the table. Everything
after the colon ( would be the table content.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Judy Ward Judy Ward is offline

Thank you for responding.

It was pointed out to me that the "?"s appear after about 240 characters of
data in the field. I believe my problem is related to the fact that Word is
expecting a text field and this field ends up being a memo field. I'm using
Word 2003 SP2.

The workaround I have come up with is to create a table with the query and
have Word link to this table (which declares the field as a memo field). I
can make it "user friendly" to click a button that will clear out the table
and run the query over again to get the latest and greatest.

I would love to hear about any solutions with Word and/or Excel and memo
fields no longer being truncated.

Thank you,
Judy

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?SnVkeSBXYXJk?=,

[...]

Fields from Access Query Shannon Mailmerge 1 December 5th 06 04:39 AM
Missing Access Query Sondra Mailmerge 1 August 15th 06 05:13 PM
Merge with Access Query rsw Mailmerge 8 June 12th 06 07:01 PM
Access query not listed jbc Mailmerge 1 April 26th 06 01:15 AM
Inserting a MS Access Query as a field using Office 2002 dns2005 Mailmerge 1 August 10th 05 02:13 PM