sam

Default Why my cross-reference in WORD dont show up high-lighted in grey?

I have been using WORD2002 cross-refernce for figure/table captions
I dont know what I have chnaged but now ...
1. WORD crashes if I ask it tp update cross-ref ... instead i have to exit
and opne again the document
2.the cross-ref dont show up with grey back ground any more
3.it seems that cros-ref is not a a single object any more e.g. i can
dlelete F of "Figure#" corss-ref and leave it as "igure #" till the next time
close/opne the docuemnt

sam

I checked, I can see the field codes by Alt+F9.
I just dont know why they dont have the grey background and why WORD lets me
manually change for example TOC, which used to be locked previously

"sam" wrote in message
I have been using WORD2002 cross-refernce for figure/table captions
I dont know what I have chnaged but now ...
1. WORD crashes if I ask it tp update cross-ref ... instead i have to exit
and opne again the document
2.the cross-ref dont show up with grey back ground any more
3.it seems that cros-ref is not a a single object any more e.g. i can
dlelete F of "Figure#" corss-ref and leave it as "igure #" till the next

time
close/opne the docuemnt

Okay, let's back up:

1. The display of field shading is set on the View tab of Tools | Options.
You can select Always, Never, or When selected.

2. You can edit any field. If you edit the field results, then when you
update the field, your changes will be undone. If you edit the field code,
you can change the results (or you may break the field by introducing
incorrect syntax). The TOC field is a good example of one that often
requires editing to permit formatting that can't be selected from the TOC
dialog; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly the cross-references have been unlinked. When you press Alt+F9,

do
you see a REF field or still the same text? If the latter, then the

fields
have been unlinked.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.