Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kamilla Winther

Default Numbering of headings starting at Heading 2

I am working with a template in Word 2002 created by a person having no
skills in using the Styles in Word. There are - however - a number of
headings, and in one sections, headings 2 and headings 3 are outline-numbered
- by hand. I am going to work with this document a lot and wishes to change
it into numbered headings, but starting with Heading 2 - like this

Heading 1
Heading 1
1. Heading 2
1.1 Heading 3
1.2 Heading 3
2. Heading 2
2.1. Heading 3
Heading 1
etc.

The numbered headings 2 and 3 will only be present under one of the Heading
1's.
You will not BELIEVE the result I am getting, when I try this. I go into the
Style menu, select the heading and choose Numbering under the Format tab. It
will not work out.

I try to select Heading 2 as lvl 1, and the result looks like this:
Heading 1
1. Heading 2
1.1. Heading 3
1.1. Heading 3
1.1. Heading 3
1. Heading 2
1.2. Heading 3
1.2. Heading 3

So far so good. Now I set Heading 3 as lvl 2 and stating that heading 3
should start renumbering after lvl 1, and the result looks like this:
Heading 1
Heading 2
11.1. Heading 3
21.1. Heading 3
31.1. Heading 3
Heading 2
41.1. Heading 3
51.1. Heading 3

-----
Please help me, I am at my wits end!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Set up your numbering according to
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, beginning
with Heading 1 (with numbering set to "none"), and Level 3 numbering set to
restart after Level 2.

"Kamilla Winther" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kamilla Winther

Thank you very much. I looked at your thorough and comprehensive guide and I
learned something. However, my problem persists.

I now took it back one step and I just want to make a totally ordinary
outline numbering

1. Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3
1.1.2 Heading 3
1.2 Heading 2
1.2.1. Heading 3
2. Heading 1

etc.

I followed your link exactly (I am familiar with the use of styles), and the
result looks like this (no kidding):
1. HEADING 1
2. HEADING 1
3. HEADING 1
4. HEADING 1
5. HEADING 1
1.5. Heading 2
1.5.1. Heading 3
2.5.1. Heading 3
3.5.1. Heading 3
2.5. Heading 2
1.5.2. Heading 3
2.5.2. Heading 3

There must be something seriously wrong with the template...

Does anyone have ANY idea of what might be going on? I am tempted to go back
to simple manual typing o fthe numbering, but I think that I will have to
make my own template and use that - I am convinced noone here will be any the
wiser...

Thanks again. And yes, it is driving me bonkers, and I don't even have
"Automatic update styles" enabled!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

In the "Number format" box (in the Customize Outline Numbered List
dialog box), it seems as if numbers have been mixed up (so that the
"5" you are seeing for Heading 2 paragraphs is actually the first
level).

Since there is no way to tell the difference between current and
previous levels in the dialog box (unless they have different
formats), the easiest fix is to select and delete the contents and
then re-enter them, using the "Number style" box to insert the current
level and the "Previous level number" box to insert higher levels.

For example: for level 2 you'd make sure to select 1 at "Previous
level number", type ".", and then choose "1,2,3,..." for the "Number
style". Also make sure that numbering is set to restart after level 1.

As you modify numbering, don't forget to start from the top level
style (Heading 1), as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Set up your numbering according to
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html,

beginning
with Heading 1 (with numbering set to "none"), and Level 3

numbering set to
restart after Level 2.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.