Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kamilla Winther

Default Numbering of headings starting at Heading 2

I am working with a template in Word 2002 created by a person having no
skills in using the Styles in Word. There are - however - a number of
headings, and in one sections, headings 2 and headings 3 are outline-numbered
- by hand. I am going to work with this document a lot and wishes to change
it into numbered headings, but starting with Heading 2 - like this

Heading 1
Heading 1
1. Heading 2
1.1 Heading 3
1.2 Heading 3
2. Heading 2
2.1. Heading 3
Heading 1
etc.

The numbered headings 2 and 3 will only be present under one of the Heading
1's.
You will not BELIEVE the result I am getting, when I try this. I go into the
Style menu, select the heading and choose Numbering under the Format tab. It
will not work out.

I try to select Heading 2 as lvl 1, and the result looks like this:
Heading 1
1. Heading 2
1.1. Heading 3
1.1. Heading 3
1.1. Heading 3
1. Heading 2
1.2. Heading 3
1.2. Heading 3

So far so good. Now I set Heading 3 as lvl 2 and stating that heading 3
should start renumbering after lvl 1, and the result looks like this:
Heading 1
Heading 2
11.1. Heading 3
21.1. Heading 3