Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Saviourmachine

Default How to customize Headers?

What's the best way to customize the Headers in my Word document? In my
document I have these headers:

Foreword _______________________ II
Introduction ___________________ III
Chapter 1 Universality ___________ 1
Chapter 2 Uniqueness ____________ 2
Chapter 3 Iconicity ______________ 3
References ______________________ A

The Index is hidden in the TOC. The Foreword and Introduction are in a
seperate section, as well as the text chapters, as well as the references at
the end of the document.

I would like to have the 'ordinary text' chapters the prefix 'Chapter x'
like depicted. What's the best thing to do? To create a custom
"NumberedHeader 1" and changing it list properties? And create another
customized style "UnnumberedHeader" for the Foreword, Intro and References
chapters? And a "NotTOCHeader" for the Index header?

Or is it better to use Word's inbuilt styles? Making "Header 1" like
"NumberedHeader 1". And e.g. "Header 6" equal to the style "UnnumberedHeader"
(with level 1) and "Header 7" equal to the style "NotTOCHeader" (with level
9).

I guess it's the latter. I see already some advantage because I'm using {
IncludeText } fields and wouldn't like to update all normal "Header 1" in all
the included documents to something like "NumberedHeader 1".

I'd appreciate to hear some advantages or disadvantages of the mentioned
methods. Many thanks in advance!