Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Rachel H

Default Caption numbering in chapters

I am having trouble numbering tables and figures using the captions command
in Word 97. I am using 3 heading styles in my document which are numbered
(e.g.) Chapter 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 and respectively. These are based on the pre-set
styles for Headings 1-3. I want my tables to be numbered according to the
chapter number (e.g. Table 2.1, Table 2.2 etc. in Chapter 2), irrespective of
which sub-section they are in. When I enter a caption, I have ticked the box
'Include chapter number' and set the Chapter number with style 'Heading 1'.
The numbering is fine within a sub-section, but when I move to the next
sub-section within the same chapter, the numbering starts again (still with
the correct chapter number). I can't see why this is or how to override it.
Please can anyone advise me?

Auto-insert numbering when caption style applied termiflyer Microsoft Word Help 6 August 18th 05 09:00 PM
Caption numbering reset Guy Tables 1 March 9th 05 07:40 AM
Numbering - skip a level BruceM Microsoft Word Help 4 February 10th 05 07:56 PM
caption numbering Jin Tables 3 December 22nd 04 08:27 AM
table caption numbering scottkinsey Tables 1 November 11th 04 11:47 AM