Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
medtran medtran is offline

Default What happened to Auto Text and Auto Complete in Word 2007?

I was using Word 2003 and upgraded to 2007. I use Auto Text/Auto Complete
function as a major part of my work as a transcriptionist and I don't see
Auto Text in 2007 at all. Did they do away with it completely, or it is in
some new place I can't find. Can someone please help me with this??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

AutoText is still there, but AutoComplete is not (except for dates). You can
still type the first few letters of the AutoText entry and press F3. Or you
may want to convert your AutoText entries to AutoCorrect.

"medtran" wrote in message
I was using Word 2003 and upgraded to 2007. I use Auto Text/Auto Complete
function as a major part of my work as a transcriptionist and I don't see
Auto Text in 2007 at all. Did they do away with it completely, or it is
in
some new place I can't find. Can someone please help me with this??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Medtran,

To add to Suzanne's reply AutoText was expanded into the Office 2007 Document Parts feature set. In Word 2007 that's 36 separate
contextual content 'galleries', of which AutoText is one gallery. The type-unique-string+F3 can pull content from most of the
galleries, not just the AutoText one, but the 'tooltip'+Enter to accept is no longer functional except for dates.

On the ribbon some of the more common galleries are Header, Footer, Page Numbers, Quick Parts, Cover Pages.

The older version Autotext list of content was morphed into

Insert=QuickParts=Building Block organizer.

The new User Interface is more visually oriented, i.e. showing previews of the many of the entries to choose from.

===============
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
medtran medtran is offline

Well thank you for the information, but I guess I bought a new updated
version for nothing, as I have a lot of auto text entries that I use that are
similar, (i.e. addresses of companies) and it functioned great under the
older version where I could type the name and four letters would show one
address and five letters would show another, etc. , but now I can't see which
address is coming up, and it was a lot quicker to hit enter than F3. Also, I
am not sure I am even using the auto text/building block stuff the right way.
I guess sometimes new is not always better. This is very frustrating.

Thanks for trying,

"medtran" wrote in message
I was using Word 2003 and upgraded to 2007. I use Auto Text/Auto Complete
function as a major part of my work as a transcriptionist and I don't see
Auto Text in 2007 at all. Did they do away with it completely, or it is
in
some new place I can't find. Can someone please help me with this??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
medtran medtran is offline

Thanks Bob,

But like I told Suzanne, I need to be able to see what address is going to
pop up or what phrase I am using, as I have a lot that are very similar, yet
different depending on the dictation I am doing. If they don't show a
portion of it like it did with the old Auto Text/Auto Complete function, then
I am up a creek. I am not overly computer savy, but I had been able to use
the old system to my advantange doing my present job. Those functions were a
very integral part of performing my job to the utmost proficiency. I can't
even really figure out the new Building Blocks section and have bought a
couple different books on Word 2007, but there are always questions that are
never answered in the book.

I do appreciate you answering my post though, thanks again.

"medtran" wrote in message ...
I was using Word 2003 and upgraded to 2007. I use Auto Text/Auto Complete
function as a major part of my work as a transcriptionist and I don't see
Auto Text in 2007 at all. Did they do away with it completely, or it is in
some new place I can't find. Can someone please help me with this??
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi medtran,

It's certainly a feature request (retain the tooltips) that was asked for both during the beta testing and since, but so far, no
indication that it will be restored in this version; maybe next. Both MS Live search and Google are now using live (as you type)
'query suggestions' so perhaps it's a case of changing over to a different set of 'innards' for the feature.

If you have a retail edition of Office 2007 there is a 45-day money back guarantee from Microsoft if you have the previous version
to reinstall.
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/prod...nd/refund.mspx

There are also a number of 3rd party software utilities that can store resuable data that will show tooltips and allow you to insert
text and can work both in Word and throughout other Windows programs as well, if needed.

=========