Frederick Simard

Default Caption Numbering and Chapter Heading

Hi,

Do you know if it is possible, when retrieving the header number using the
StyleRef field, to extract only a specific sub-level. Like if you have
'7.1', is there a way to extract only the '1'?

Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For starters, you might want to look at Word's Help topic "Field codes:
StyleRef field." Then use Insert | Field to insert a StyleRef field
referring to your heading style, checking the box for "Insert paragraph
number" or "Insert paragraph number in full context."

"JustSu" wrote in message
Could you please tell me how to do this? Thanks so much for your reply!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't believe there is any way to do what you want through the Caption
dialog, but you can insert StyleRef fields in your captions to pick up

the
numbering of the specific desired heading.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JustSu" wrote in message
How do I use different chapter headings for caption numbers? For
instance,
figures in section 1.2 should be numbered Figure 1.2-1, Figure 1.2-2,
etc.,
while figures in section 1.2.1 should be numbered Figure 1.2.1-1,

Figure
1.2.1-2, etc. If I set a chapter heading style for one figure, all
figures
in the document are changed to that chapter heading style. What

should I
be
doing differently?

I'd suggest experimenting with the "context" setting to see what the various
switches do.

"Frederick Simard" Frederick wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

For starters, you might want to look at Word's Help topic "Field codes:
StyleRef field." Then use Insert | Field to insert a StyleRef field
referring to your heading style, checking the box for "Insert paragraph
number" or "Insert paragraph number in full context."

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JustSu" wrote in message
How do I use different chapter headings for caption numbers? For
instance,
figures in section 1.2 should be numbered Figure 1.2-1, Figure

1.2-2,
etc.,
while figures in section 1.2.1 should be numbered Figure 1.2.1-1,

Figure
1.2.1-2, etc. If I set a chapter heading style for one figure,

all
figures
in the document are changed to that chapter heading style. What

should I
be
doing differently?

Yes, but I think I have bad news. If your paragraph number includes previous
levels, you will get them regardless. The "Field codes: StyleRef field" Help
topic explains the relevant switches this way:

\n Causes the field to display the entire paragraph number for a referenced
paragraph without trailing periods. No information about prior levels is
displayed unless it is included as part of the current level.

\r Inserts the entire paragraph number of the bookmarked paragraph in
relative context€” or relative to the paragraph numbering scheme€” without
trailing periods.

\w Inserts the paragraph number of the bookmarked paragraph in full context,
from anywhere in the document.
For example, when referencing paragraph "ii.," a STYLEREF field with the \w
switch would return "1.a.ii" as a result.

"JustSu" wrote in message
How do I use different chapter headings for caption numbers?

For
instance,
figures in section 1.2 should be numbered Figure 1.2-1, Figure

1.2-2,
etc.,
while figures in section 1.2.1 should be numbered Figure

1.2.1-1,
Figure
1.2.1-2, etc. If I set a chapter heading style for one

figure,
all
figures
in the document are changed to that chapter heading style.

What
should I
be
doing differently?

numbering chapter sub headings c_angler Microsoft Word Help 36 May 17th 05 04:07 PM
Word 2000 - Parallel Chapter numbering - Manual in two tables Harald Formatting Long Documents 5 February 10th 05 04:03 PM
heading numbering ak Page Layout 1 January 14th 05 10:25 PM
Chapter numbering without sections Mark Formatting Long Documents 4 January 14th 05 06:42 PM
Chapter and Page numbers Chris S Tables 3 November 8th 04 10:16 AM