Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lmr lmr is offline

Default Can I disable word07 styles and use direct formatting?

I would like to prevent word07 from automatically assigning styles--I want to
use direct formatting for the entire document. Is there a way of doing this?
I'm frustrated because the program keeps assigning styles I don't want.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To prevent Word from automatically applying paragraph styles to text: Click
the Office button and then click Word Options. In the Proofing category,
click AutoCorrect Options. On the AutoFormat As You Type tab, clear "Define
styles based on your formatting." Also clear the "Built-in Heading styles"
option. Click OK twice.

However, note that depending entirely on direct formatting may be
time-consuming in Word, at least with long documents. A small set of
paragraph styles (some headings and a body text style) that *you* apply as
needed will make it easier to maintain consistent formatting.

Also, you cannot "turn off" the use of styles in Word; every paragraph has a
paragraph style (if you don't choose one yourself that style is usually
Normal).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LMR" wrote in message
I would like to prevent word07 from automatically assigning styles--I want
use direct formatting for the entire document. Is there a way of doing
this?
I'm frustrated because the program keeps assigning styles I don't want.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lmr lmr is offline

Many thanks, Stefan! That solved most of the problem, and it proved to be the
key to solving the rest--when I turned off the "set left- and first-indent
with tabs and backspaces" in the same area, the styles started working
predictably.

"LMR" wrote in message
I would like to prevent word07 from automatically assigning styles--I want
use direct formatting for the entire document. Is there a way of doing
this?
I'm frustrated because the program keeps assigning styles I don't want.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are welcome!

Actually, for full control over what Word does and doesn't do, you may want
to turn off all options under "Apply as you type" and "Automatically as you
type" on the AutoFormat As You Type tab (of the AutoCorrect dialog).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP