business owner

Default I need samples of mission statements.

Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great help.
Thanks.
Greg Maxey

It think the grammar might be a little off, but I always liked the one from
the 60s Sci-Fi show Star Trek. "To boldly go where no man has gone before."

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

business owner wrote:
Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great
help. Thanks.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Google for them. There are more than enough out there. (Personally I think
they are a load of crap. I just don't understand the need for them. If your
company does a good job, that carries more weight than having a self-serving
mission statement.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"business owner" business wrote in message
Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great help.
Thanks.

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

FYI...without a mission statement, it can be too easy for all the
little worker ants to get off target...particularly when you have lots
of little bosses. Having a statement helps to keep the lines
clear...and a company on target as it grows.

Dian ~

On Sun, 1 May 2005 20:38:21 -0400, "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]"
wrote:

Google for them. There are more than enough out there. (Personally I think
they are a load of crap. I just don't understand the need for them. If your
company does a good job, that carries more weight than having a self-serving
mission statement.)

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

You might want to check out these links...

http://www.tgci.com/magazine/98fall/mission.asp

http://www.nightingale.com/tMission_...eStatement.asp

http://www.web-castles.com/sample-mi...tatement.shtml

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Sun, 1 May 2005 16:02:02 -0700, "business owner" business
wrote:

Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great help.
Thanks.

Greg Maxey

Little worker ants?? I would bet if these ants knew that that is how the
big bosses thought of them that they would tell those bosses to stuff their
mission statement in places that the sun doesn't shine ;-)

--

wrote:

Google for them. There are more than enough out there. (Personally I
think they are a load of crap. I just don't understand the need for
them. If your company does a good job, that carries more weight than
having a self-serving mission statement.)

Tonya Marshall

Greg Maxey wrote:
It think the grammar might be a little off, but I always liked the one from
the 60s Sci-Fi show Star Trek. "To boldly go where no man has gone before."

If you put Mission Statement in a Google search, you get a LOT of
helpful stuff.

--
I have not lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Tonya Marshall
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

True.g

But then, when you're starting your own company, you also need a
mission statement to help provide you with ammo for various
reasons...like providing a focus for your business plan, getting
venture cap and what to tell the IRS about what you do. ;-)

Dian ~

On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:24:00 -0400, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:

Little worker ants?? I would bet if these ants knew that that is how the
big bosses thought of them that they would tell those bosses to stuff their
mission statement in places that the sun doesn't shine ;-)

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

The mission statements I've seen all say things about offering quality
products/services, efficiency, etc. Well, duh! I certainly don't expect them
to be honest and say things like "We strive to drive our workers nuts by
forcing them to take shortcuts, knowing that it will end up costing us
warranty charges down the road."

I guess I just hear a lot of lip-service and rarely see a company who
*truly* carries thru with their promises.

--
JoAnn Paules the cynic
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote:

Little worker ants?? I would bet if these ants knew that that is how the
big bosses thought of them that they would tell those bosses to stuff
their
mission statement in places that the sun doesn't shine ;-)

Graham Mayor

I once worked for a public organisation that spent £40,000 of tax payers'
money to develop a pretentious mission statement, so memorable that I cannot
remember it; and we weren't allowed to add it to our document templates, so
as far as I am aware it was never used. Mission statements are a weak
substitute for management on one hand and meaningless waffle on the other.
I view any company that uses mission statements on its documents as having
too many staff with too much time on their hands to waste money which they
will then add on to my bill. Give me good honest service that you can see.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] wrote:
Google for them. There are more than enough out there. (Personally I
think they are a load of crap. I just don't understand the need for
them. If your company does a good job, that carries more weight than
having a self-serving mission statement.)

"business owner" business wrote in
message ...
Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great
help. Thanks.

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Which is why it is important to have it down in writing...to keep
people focused on the ultimate goal of the company. ;-)

Dian ~

On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:20:24 -0400, "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]"
wrote:

The mission statements I've seen all say things about offering quality
products/services, efficiency, etc. Well, duh! I certainly don't expect them
to be honest and say things like "We strive to drive our workers nuts by
forcing them to take shortcuts, knowing that it will end up costing us
warranty charges down the road."

I guess I just hear a lot of lip-service and rarely see a company who
*truly* carries thru with their promises.

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

They obviously didn't understand how to run the place and misused the
concept. Not to mention that the idiot who was running the place
should have been shot on site for that misuse of funds! ;-)

This is our statement for MouseTrax.com...took me about 20 mins to
consider it properly, write it and add it to our site...as our reason
for being.

"MouseTrax.com is dedicated to giving back to the community by helping
computer users fight the headaches of struggling to learn new
technology."

Dian ~

On Mon, 2 May 2005 06:25:06 +0100, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

I once worked for a public organisation that spent £40,000 of tax payers'
money to develop a pretentious mission statement, so memorable that I cannot
remember it; and we weren't allowed to add it to our document templates, so
as far as I am aware it was never used. Mission statements are a weak
substitute for management on one hand and meaningless waffle on the other.
I view any company that uses mission statements on its documents as having
too many staff with too much time on their hands to waste money which they
will then add on to my bill. Give me good honest service that you can see.

TF

Graham

Just like the MPS!

Terry Farrell

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
:I once worked for a public organisation that spent £40,000 of tax payers'
: money to develop a pretentious mission statement, so memorable that I
cannot
: remember it; and we weren't allowed to add it to our document templates,
so
: as far as I am aware it was never used. Mission statements are a weak
: substitute for management on one hand and meaningless waffle on the other.
: I view any company that uses mission statements on its documents as having
: too many staff with too much time on their hands to waste money which they
: will then add on to my bill. Give me good honest service that you can see.
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
:
: JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] wrote:
: Google for them. There are more than enough out there. (Personally I
: think they are a load of crap. I just don't understand the need for
: them. If your company does a good job, that carries more weight than
: having a self-serving mission statement.)
:
:
: "business owner" business wrote in
: message ...
: Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great
: help. Thanks.
:
:

TF

Dian

I don't agree. Mission Statements are a load of bunkum and tommyrot*. If
they are for your staff, why the hell are they on public display? It is the
reputation for doing a job properly that leads to a successful company - not
a load of ******** hanging on the wall in reception. I work for a highly
successful service company: we turn away bad customers that we don't want.
We don't have a mission statement and never will have one either. We don't
have room on the wall in reception for starters - the wall is full of really
important notices such as Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, HP Centre of
Excellence, Citrix Gold...

Terry Farrell

*old English expression = bunkum - claptrap: tommyrot - utter foolishness

: wrote:
:
: The mission statements I've seen all say things about offering quality
: products/services, efficiency, etc. Well, duh! I certainly don't expect
them
: to be honest and say things like "We strive to drive our workers nuts by
: forcing them to take shortcuts, knowing that it will end up costing us
: warranty charges down the road."
:
: I guess I just hear a lot of lip-service and rarely see a company who
: *truly* carries thru with their promises.
:

Amedee Van Gasse

TF shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Dian

I don't agree. Mission Statements are a load of bunkum and tommyrot*.
If they are for your staff, why the hell are they on public display?
It is the reputation for doing a job properly that leads to a
successful company - not a load of ******** hanging on the wall in
reception. I work for a highly successful service company: we turn
away bad customers that we don't want. We don't have a mission
statement and never will have one either. We don't have room on the
wall in reception for starters - the wall is full of really important
notices such as Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, HP Centre of
Excellence, Citrix Gold...

Terry Farrell

*old English expression = bunkum - claptrap: tommyrot - utter
foolishness

Terry,

I'm with you on the majority of the mission statements: too general so
that the company can be bent in any direction.

This is ours:

$WEMANUFACTURETIMERECORDERS is your partner, as a system integrator,
for data acquisition and data control in order to deliver correct
information to the management system in the areas of human resources,
access control, shop-floor control and supply chain management.

It's a tad more concrete than most other mission statements I've ever
read.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html

Greg Maxey

Dian,

That might have achieved the goals like providing:

a focus for your business plan, getting venture cap and what to tell the
IRS about what you do.

.... but since you charge a fee for this giving it seems to me that a more
likely reason for being is to make profit ;-).

I stand with those who feel the statements are basically worthless. That
said, I am glad to hear that you only spent about 20 minutes on yours.

--

wrote:

I once worked for a public organisation that spent £40,000 of tax
payers' money to develop a pretentious mission statement, so
memorable that I cannot remember it; and we weren't allowed to add
it to our document templates, so as far as I am aware it was never
used. Mission statements are a weak substitute for management on one
hand and meaningless waffle on the other. I view any company that
uses mission statements on its documents as having too many staff
with too much time on their hands to waste money which they will
then add on to my bill. Give me good honest service that you can
see.

Jim

On Mon, 02 May 2005 01:05:06 -0500, "Dian D. Chapman, MVP"
wrote:

This is our statement for MouseTrax.com...took me about 20 mins to
consider it properly, write it and add it to our site...as our reason
for being.

"MouseTrax.com is dedicated to giving back to the community by helping
computer users fight the headaches of struggling to learn new
technology."

Or in other words "MouseTrax.com" followed by 21 words of pretentious,
meaningless blather. I prefer products whose actions speak for
themselves...

Blessed be, for sure...
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

shrug That's your opinion and you're welcomed to it. I used to think
that way, too...then I became better educated about running a
corporation and learned differently./shrug

On Mon, 2 May 2005 09:37:04 +0100, "TF"
terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:

Dian

I don't agree. Mission Statements are a load of bunkum and tommyrot*. If
they are for your staff, why the hell are they on public display? It is the
reputation for doing a job properly that leads to a successful company - not
a load of ******** hanging on the wall in reception. I work for a highly
successful service company: we turn away bad customers that we don't want.
We don't have a mission statement and never will have one either. We don't
have room on the wall in reception for starters - the wall is full of really
important notices such as Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, HP Centre of
Excellence, Citrix Gold...

Terry Farrell

*old English expression = bunkum - claptrap: tommyrot - utter foolishness

.. .
: wrote:
:
: The mission statements I've seen all say things about offering quality
: products/services, efficiency, etc. Well, duh! I certainly don't expect
them
: to be honest and say things like "We strive to drive our workers nuts by
: forcing them to take shortcuts, knowing that it will end up costing us
: warranty charges down the road."
:
: I guess I just hear a lot of lip-service and rarely see a company who
: *truly* carries thru with their promises.
:

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

$WEMANUFACTURETIMERECORDERS is your partner, as a system integrator,
for data acquisition and data control in order to deliver correct
information to the management system in the areas of human resources,
access control, shop-floor control and supply chain management.

And were I in the market to hire a company like this...that simple
statement would tell me a lot about your company. Not only what is its
focus and what you can/cannot do for me as a client, but what you
specialize in without the marketing gibberish. And it gives everyone
at your company one simple statement to get the facts correct.

Simple...to the point...explains what I need to know in a pinch. It
has done it's job.

D ~
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

... but since you charge a fee for this giving it seems to me that a more
likely reason for being is to make profit ;-).

And in that statement...you are completely mistaken.

We do NOT charge squat for the help/advise that we provide. Unlike
many who refuse to take support email through their personal email...I
do that all day long and have no problem with it. I happily help MANY
people with free advice, critiques of their work and often times
provide free help to those who even offer to pay...because it's not
right to charge one person for something I freely give to others. So
you might want to get your facts straight.

Yes, if someone comes to me asking me to build them a project...THEN I
point them toward my consulting services...which is an entirely
different matter. But also in that case, they do get free info about
what it will take and what the cost would be to go that route...as
well as info links to learn on their own and the time/cost differences
from doing it themselves versus having me do it for them.

Dian ~

On Mon, 2 May 2005 05:59:28 -0400, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:

... but since you charge a fee for this giving it seems to me that a more
likely reason for being is to make profit ;-).

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

You are welcomed to your option...enjoy it.shrug

Dian ~

wrote:

This is our statement for MouseTrax.com...took me about 20 mins to
consider it properly, write it and add it to our site...as our reason
for being.

"MouseTrax.com is dedicated to giving back to the community by helping
computer users fight the headaches of struggling to learn new
technology."

Or in other words "MouseTrax.com" followed by 21 words of pretentious,
meaningless blather. I prefer products whose actions speak for
themselves...

Blessed be, for sure...

Greg

So you might want to get your facts straight.

Back off Dian.

You have obviously gotten your dander up over a little good natured
ribbing.

As I was in error for suggesting that the reason for MouseTrax being in
business is to make a profit, I apologize.

Greg

Dian,

Surely you do not imply that those who do not share your "opinions" on
mission statements are in any way less educated or schooled in running
a corporation.

Did you learn to think of employees as "little worker ants" and
subordinate supervisors/managers as "little bosses" in that course of
study?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Surely you do not imply that those who do not share your "opinions" on
mission statements are in any way less educated or schooled in running
a corporation.

sigh No...that's your incorrect interpretation of words.

Did you learn to think of employees as "little worker ants" and

subordinate supervisors/managers as "little bosses" in that course of
study?

SIGH No...that was an exaggeration. Although I have had the
misfortune of working at several companies that do have those views,
as well as employing self-important micro managers who SHOULD have
been designated more as "little bosses" since they behaved that way.
Which is why I prefer not to frequent that world any longer.

Feel free to continue to dispute any of these facts. Sorry I can't
continue to enjoy this claptrap...I have work to do.

Cheers!

On 2 May 2005 09:12:27 -0700, "Greg" wrote:

Dian,

Surely you do not imply that those who do not share your "opinions" on
mission statements are in any way less educated or schooled in running
a corporation.

Did you learn to think of employees as "little worker ants" and
subordinate supervisors/managers as "little bosses" in that course of
study?

patrick

Hold On Here!-A bunch of really intelligent people jsut forgot the mission of
the discussion group and veered of onto phillosophy of business/HR 101...Like
the old song goes "Just let it be...."
PF

wrote:

... but since you charge a fee for this giving it seems to me that a more
likely reason for being is to make profit ;-).

Greg Maxey

Patrick,

Yeah, it drifted. I think now that we have all capped our pens and
withdrawn from the field :-)

--

wrote:

... but since you charge a fee for this giving it seems to me that
a more likely reason for being is to make profit ;-).

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

ROTF!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote:

... but since you charge a fee for this giving it seems to me that
a more likely reason for being is to make profit ;-).

Amedee Van Gasse

Dian D. Chapman, MVP shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.newusers:

... but since you charge a fee for this giving it seems to me that
a more likely reason for being is to make profit ;-).

And in that statement...you are completely mistaken.

We do NOT charge squat for the help/advise that we provide. Unlike
many who refuse to take support email through their personal email...I
do that all day long and have no problem with it. I happily help MANY
people with free advice, critiques of their work and often times
provide free help to those who even offer to pay...because it's not
right to charge one person for something I freely give to others. So
you might want to get your facts straight.

soapbox
The difference between email and usenet help and advice:

Email is (in your case) free of charge but most of the times not Free
(as in Freedom of Speech) unless explicitly stated so by both
correspondents. (confidentiality of the mail, or something like that).

Usenet is, by its very nature and definition, Free (as in Speech) AND
Open. Free means anyone can write whatever they want and Open means
anyone else can do with it whatever they want.
This means if you write something here, you can't prevent someone else
doing something with it (even making profit). And if you make profit
with something you read here, you can't prevent someone else from also
making profit.

A technical consequence is that Usenet itself is free of charge, only
the access might be something you have to pay for.
/soapbox

Yes, if someone comes to me asking me to build them a project...THEN I
point them toward my consulting services...which is an entirely
different matter. But also in that case, they do get free info about
what it will take and what the cost would be to go that route...as
well as info links to learn on their own and the time/cost differences
from doing it themselves versus having me do it for them.

Respect!

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
~KO

I just came across one from a Project Management company:
Our mission is to anticipate the needs of our
clients to conceive, develop, and deliver the
highly effective project management solutions
used to seize competitive advantage.

"business owner" wrote:

Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great help.
Thanks.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

When I first glanced at that, I thought it said something about deceiving,
not conceiving. Oops. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

: "business owner" wrote:
:
: Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great
help.
: Thanks.

Brian Mailman

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] wrote:

When I first glanced at that, I thought it said something about deceiving,
not conceiving. Oops. ;-)

speaking of 'desparate housewives...' lol
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

You'll probably want to steer clear of the company with this mission
statement, too, T! eg

"We work to help people and businesses throughout the world realize
their full potential."

D ~

On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:13:52 +0100, "TF"

: "business owner" wrote:
:
: Getting some samples of actual mission statements would be of great
help.
: Thanks.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Daiya,

Evil Grin Cindy, Dian~ and a couple of others
are founding 'evil twins' members from the
MS Word forum on Compuserve

======
"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message .. .
Is that MS, per chance?

And what in the world does eg mean? Excellent grin? Egghead grin?

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi E~

Back before they knew they were mission statements...

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome.
Disneyland is your land.
Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth
may savor the challenge and promise of the future.

Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams,
and the hard facts that have created America...
with hope that you will consider every penny spent here
an investment in joy for the world."
-- Disneyland's dedication, 1955

=======
"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote in message ...
You'll probably want to steer clear of the company with this mission
statement, too, T! eg

"We work to help people and businesses throughout the world realize
their full potential."

D ~

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

;-)

E ~

On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:48:11 -0700, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)"
75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:

Hi Daiya,

Evil Grin Cindy, Dian~ and a couple of others
are founding 'evil twins' members from the
MS Word forum on Compuserve

======
"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message .. .
Is that MS, per chance?

And what in the world does eg mean? Excellent grin? Egghead grin?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

That's a pretty cool one. ;-)

E ~

On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:52:33 -0700, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)"
[...]

TF

More than 'enlightening': it's a warning!

Terry

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
: Thank you, that is *very* enlightening.
:
:
: On 5/10/05 9:48 PM, "Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:
:
: Hi Daiya,
:
: Evil Grin Cindy, Dian~ and a couple of others
: are founding 'evil twins' members from the
: MS Word forum on Compuserve
:
: ======
: "Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
: .. .
: Is that MS, per chance?
:
: And what in the world does eg mean? Excellent grin? Egghead grin?
:
:
:

IF statements always returning the "False" condition JCSadie Mailmerge 4 February 28th 05 03:42 PM
MERGE: Can I have multiple SET statements based on one IF Bill Anderson Mailmerge 1 February 24th 05 06:03 AM
Samples of a book Bill Page Layout 1 January 1st 05 02:01 PM
financial statements Chris Microsoft Word Help 2 December 1st 04 03:08 AM
Using Hyperlinks in Mail Merge IF...THEN...ELSE Statements Mark V Mailmerge 8 November 30th 04 01:31 PM