Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
preacher preacher is offline

Default why can't i send doc by email

i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now running
2007 office/student verson
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Angel Bivins Angel Bivins is offline

What do you mean by "not even allowed the option"? If you're not seeing the
mail button on your toolbar, try:
File, Send To, mail recipient.
Hope that helps!
--
Angel Bivins
WordAngel Document Design

"preacher" wrote:

i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

IIRC, Office 2007 Students version doesn't have Outlook, so you need to make
sure that under Internet Options, Programs, the correct email client has
been set.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"preacher" wrote in message
i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alex W Alex W is offline

I have the full Professional version of Office 2007 and the "send to" command
is simply not available in on the File Menu in Word, Excel or Powerpoint. I
am running Outlook 2007 as the mail client.

Looking at a number of other sites I am not an orphan.

Did the Ofice 2007 product ship with the necessary Registry updates?

I used Office 2003 previously and out of the box it was not a problem. I
have encountered a few issues with 2007

"preacher" wrote in message
i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Of course, there is no File menu in 2007, but I guess you mean the Office
menu or Pizza Button. It certainly worked out of the box for me.

See if the following article helps:

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0002.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"preacher" wrote in message
i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc
by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now
running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lil Lil is offline

I also have just installed Word 2007 and when I click file sent to, only the
Fax is available, the email is greyed out. Any other ideas?-
Lil

"preacher" wrote:

i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lil Lil is offline

Not to seem dumb, but how. I went into Internet Options, I'm using Windows
Mail that came with Vista.
--
Lil

"preacher" wrote in message
i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Just like Terry said. Open IE, Tools, Internet options, Programs, Internet
programs, Set programs, Set your default programs, ...

Or

Start, Control panel, Programs, Default programs, Set your default programs,

Take your pick - both get you to the exact same place.
--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"preacher" wrote in message
i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc
by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now
running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Derek Schmidt Derek Schmidt is offline

I have tried to go through the procedure mentioned here about setting the
defaults, but still have not been able to activate the 'email from Word' in
Word 2007 and Windows Mail. Is there a specific conflict with these
programs? I have found several people with the same problem on this forum.
I also tried to understand the advice in http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0002.htm
but find it a little out of my league!

"preacher" wrote in message
i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc
by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now
running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Evidently Word 2007 recognizes only Outlook 2007 as a mail client.

Not on XP - if I set Thunderbird as my default email client instead of
Outlook, Word 2007 calls Thunderbird when I email a document from within
Word...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Derek Schmidt[_2_] Derek Schmidt[_2_] is offline

So it works on XP, but has anyone figured out for Vista yet? Seems strange
that Word2007 wouldn't recognize the default program (Windows Mail) but only
the one that either comes by itself as a single expensive program (Outlook),
or as an even more expensive package deal... or does it?

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Evidently Word 2007 recognizes only Outlook 2007 as a mail client.

Not on XP - if I set Thunderbird as my default email client instead of
Outlook, Word 2007 calls Thunderbird when I email a document from within
Word...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I can confirm that Word 2007 and Windows Mail are incompatible but we hope
that this is a bug and will be fixed when the servicepacks are launched
early next year.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's good news, since I use Outlook Express, but I'd heard rumors that
Word 2007 was honoring only Outlook.

so
all may benefit.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Evidently Word 2007 recognizes only Outlook 2007 as a mail client.

Not on XP - if I set Thunderbird as my default email client instead of
Outlook, Word 2007 calls Thunderbird when I email a document from
within
Word...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
monkey1 monkey1 is offline

Okay, so I'm confused.
I have Windows XP and MSOffice Home/Student 2007 and Outlook Express as my
email program. And OE is set as the default in my Control Panel.

I cannot email a document from any program in Home/Student 2007 as it is
always grayed out and.

This is very very annoying. I can't chnge my emil program to something
else. Is there a way to send emails using OE and XP and Home/Student
2007....Yes or No??????????????????

Thanks.

"preacher" wrote in message
i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc
by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now
running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Monkey1" wrote in message

This is very very annoying. I can't chnge my emil program to something
else.

Why not? Mozilla Thunderbird will send documents mailed from the "Mail to"
function within Office 2007 (Standard that is - shouldn't be any different
from Home and Student...)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
monkey1 monkey1 is offline

Well, first of all, I don't think I should have to but I tried to do this
before and many of my addresses in OE will not move over to any email
program. I have a large number of groups and names that don't show up except
in these groups (they're sort of greyed out in OE) and when I attempted this
before, those names did not show up. Maybe i should give it another go as I
do have a current back up of all my contacts. I just find this an enormous
PITA.

"Gordon" wrote:

"Monkey1" wrote in message

This is very very annoying. I can't chnge my emil program to something
else.

Why not? Mozilla Thunderbird will send documents mailed from the "Mail to"
function within Office 2007 (Standard that is - shouldn't be any different
from Home and Student...)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Monkey1,

Email from Word 2007 with Outlook Express
======

With Word 2007 and Windowx XP, if MS Outlook Express is set as the default email client within Outlook Express and if within Word
you customize the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) (Alt, T, O, C) and use the 'all commands' list and add the 'Send to Email Recipient'
then when working within a Word 2007 document you should get, when clicking on that added icon, the same 'envelope' for addressing
the currently opened Word document and sending it from within Word that you would get under older versions of Word from
File=Send to=Mail Recipient.

MS Office Outlook isn't required in that scenario.

Note that when receiving an email generated from Word and received in Outlook Express that OE may not honor the expected graphics
sizes you were using.

Exporting Group email Addresses from OE
As far as moving or copying a set of Outlook Express addresses to a different email program, what email programs have you tried to
use and what steps were you following?

There is a feature in Outlook Express that allows you to add email addresses that only appear within the context of the group.
There are some 3rd party utilities that can extract the names, but one way to do it is to create a blank email addressed to the
group then save it to the draft folder, open it and all of the email addresses are available in the 'to' line, including the
'mystery' ones.

==============
"Monkey1" wrote in message ...
Well, first of all, I don't think I should have to but I tried to do this
before and many of my addresses in OE will not move over to any email
program. I have a large number of groups and names that don't show up except
in these groups (they're sort of greyed out in OE) and when I attempted this
before, those names did not show up. Maybe i should give it another go as I
do have a current back up of all my contacts. I just find this an enormous
PITA.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
garfield garfield is offline

It is now Feb. and now have two computers running Vista and using Windows
Mail. When are the servicepacks coming out? Or is the solution to change
the OS back to Windows XP?

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Evidently Word 2007 recognizes only Outlook 2007 as a mail client.

Not on XP - if I set Thunderbird as my default email client instead of
Outlook, Word 2007 calls Thunderbird when I email a document from
within
Word...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Garfield" wrote in message
It is now Feb. and now have two computers running Vista and using Windows
Mail. When are the servicepacks coming out? Or is the solution to change
the OS back to Windows XP?

Latest rumours say March.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Servicepacks 1 for both Vista and Office have been released to manufacture.
Usually it is 4 to 6 weeks before they will appear on the shelf. However,
the updates should be available for download prior to then. I don't have any
inside information, but my guess would be that the downloads will be
available in 2+ weeks.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's good news, since I use Outlook Express, but I'd heard rumors
that
Word 2007 was honoring only Outlook.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Evidently Word 2007 recognizes only Outlook 2007 as a mail client.

Not on XP - if I set Thunderbird as my default email client instead
of
Outlook, Word 2007 calls Thunderbird when I email a document from
within
Word...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OspreyEye OspreyEye is offline

I find it amazing that this many have had the same problem, and yet MS Office
2007/Vista has not provided a fix. It is obviously very common, and yet there
are still denials that it happens. Let's get with it - cut the dialogue and
fix it.

Fix the "Send-Email" gray-out that occurs within the WORD 2007/Vista
program! anyone that needs to can do a work around through their email
program using an attachment - but if that is the case, and the only fix, why
include the grayed out EMAIL prompt. Isn't anyone from Microsoft
listening/watching to this dialogue on the www.microsoft.com website?

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Evidently Word 2007 recognizes only Outlook 2007 as a mail client.

Not on XP - if I set Thunderbird as my default email client instead of
Outlook, Word 2007 calls Thunderbird when I email a document from within
Word...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I've not seen any word from MS about this but AFAIAA, Word 2007 will only
let you send as an email when you are using Outlook 2007 as the email
client. Otherwise you can only send as an attachment.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's good news, since I use Outlook Express, but I'd heard rumors
that
Word 2007 was honoring only Outlook.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Evidently Word 2007 recognizes only Outlook 2007 as a mail client.

Not on XP - if I set Thunderbird as my default email client instead
of
Outlook, Word 2007 calls Thunderbird when I email a document from
within
Word...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Terry,

It will work with Thunderbird and Outlook Express on Windows XP. Windows Vista Mail (the updated OE) doesn't provide the hooks for
doing this with Word. I don't know if that's also true with other email apps on Vista.

===========
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
I've not seen any word from MS about this but AFAIAA, Word 2007 will only
let you send as an email when you are using Outlook 2007 as the email
client. Otherwise you can only send as an attachment.

Terry
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OspreyEye OspreyEye is offline

As I see it now, there is no way to correct the "disappearing grayed out
Email link" under the Pie Plate yet. HOWEVER, there is a way of having this
internal function available WITHOUT correcting the Pie Plate issue, and to
create an even more accessible function key for sending EMail.

Put the SEND TO MAIL RECIPIENT link on the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT)
instead of the EMAIL link. The EMAIL link on the QAT is also grayed out on my
MS WORD 2007/Vista and cannot be used.

To place this link on the QAT, go to the QAT dropdown on MS Word 2007. Drop
down to:
MORE COMMANDS
CHOOSE COMMANDS FROM:
ALL COMMANDS
SEND TO MAIL RECIPIENT

After you have added the SEND TO MAIL RECIPIENT to the QAT, use that to send
the document you are working on to the recipient. This works on VISTA with MS
WORD 2007 and OUTLOOK EXPRESS. You will not need the EMAIL link on the QAT,
just the SEND TO MAIL RECIPIENT.

Forget the Pie Plate EMail link; leave that to MS to work out on a later
mod. Let me know if this does not work on your combo of programs. Also,
please tell me why this works on mine.

Safe travelling - blue side up!

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Terry,

It will work with Thunderbird and Outlook Express on Windows XP. Windows Vista Mail (the updated OE) doesn't provide the hooks for
doing this with Word. I don't know if that's also true with other email apps on Vista.

===========
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
I've not seen any word from MS about this but AFAIAA, Word 2007 will only
let you send as an email when you are using Outlook 2007 as the email
client. Otherwise you can only send as an attachment.

Terry
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi OspreyEye,

The Office Button=Send to link is a Send as Attachment choice. In Windows XP it will work with Thunderbird, Outlook Express or
Outlook set as the default email client. Outlook 2007 does not use Word as the email editor, it uses its own Word 'clone' and if
Outlook 2007 is the default email client you get different message editors in Word from the QAT and Office=Send to options.

The Send to Mail Recipient item on the QAT will allow you to send document content from within Word with the same clients, but don't
be surprised if the resulting HTML email received by others, especially if you have inserted pictures and resized them, doesn't look
the way you saw it when you sent it.

Did you install Outlook Express in Vista separately? Windows Mail (Outlook Express successor) has been reported as not working from
the QAT in Vista.

==============
"OspreyEye" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Bob

Yes. I should have made that clearer: this is with VISTA.

I've not seen anything from MS about this, but Office 2007 completely
ignores Windows Mail - even the spell checker in Mail is English (US) only
at the moment.

Terry

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Terry,

It will work with Thunderbird and Outlook Express on Windows XP. Windows
Vista Mail (the updated OE) doesn't provide the hooks for
doing this with Word. I don't know if that's also true with other email
apps on Vista.

===========
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I've not seen any word from MS about this but AFAIAA, Word 2007 will only
let you send as an email when you are using Outlook 2007 as the email
client. Otherwise you can only send as an attachment.

Terry
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
OspreyEye OspreyEye is offline

Sorry I missed the Windows Mail/Outlook Express nomenclature. I use Windows
Mail but keep calling it Outlook Express. I will jump on the band wagon soon
enough.

My suggestion above pertains to my combo of Vista, MSOffice Word 2007 and
Windows Mail. This also works with MS Excel 2007.

"OspreyEye" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

As I said, in Vista you may only use Outlook as your email client with Word
2007. I don't know if MS plan to change this.

Terry

"OspreyEye" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Brian is offline

I have a somewhat different situation. I have four different computers in
the house, all running XP Pro with Office 2003. The most recent addition is
an IBM laptop. Like all the others, I have configured Thunderbird as the
default e-mail client, but have my girlfriends e-mail running through Outlook
Express. On the the other three computers, I can e-mail and open office
document by doing the file, send to mail recipient option. I usually send it
as an attachment. On the most recent computer, that option is grayed out.
When I change the default e-mail client to Outlook Express, I have the
option to send e-mail, but not as an attachment, only with e-mail program
opening up with in the Word document. Is there some setting on this computer
that I am missing?

"Monkey1" wrote in message ...
Well, first of all, I don't think I should have to but I tried to do this
before and many of my addresses in OE will not move over to any email
program. I have a large number of groups and names that don't show up except
in these groups (they're sort of greyed out in OE) and when I attempted this
before, those names did not show up. Maybe i should give it another go as I
do have a current back up of all my contacts. I just find this an enormous
PITA.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Make sure you have "Mail as attachment" checked on the General tab of Tools

"Monkey1" wrote in message
Well, first of all, I don't think I should have to but I tried to do
this
before and many of my addresses in OE will not move over to any email
program. I have a large number of groups and names that don't show up
except
in these groups (they're sort of greyed out in OE) and when I attempted
this
before, those names did not show up. Maybe i should give it another go
as I
do have a current back up of all my contacts. I just find this an
enormous
PITA.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Brian is offline

it has been set as the option. Despite that, the only choices I have
available are
1 recipient using a fax modem
2. Recipient using Internet fax service
3. Microsoft office PowerPoint
4. Bluetooth

Grayed out our mail recipient (for review) and online meeting participant.
There is no option, grayed out or not, or mail as attachment. It is only
with Microsoft office documents that I have this problem. With Adobe Acrobat
and other non-Microsoft documents, I do not have this problem.

I can right click on any document, Microsoft or not, in my Windows Explorer
folder, and choose send mail. It is only from the open office documents that
I cannot perform this task.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, if I switch my default mail program to
Outlook Express, I can mail the open office document. However, even though
mail as attachment is the choice in tools, options, that is not what happens
-- the e-mail toolbar (to, send, etc.) appears in the open document.

I've checked the settings, and as far as I can tell, they are exactly the
same as in the other three computers in the households that do not have this
problem.

"Monkey1" wrote in message
Well, first of all, I don't think I should have to but I tried to do
this
before and many of my addresses in OE will not move over to any email
program. I have a large number of groups and names that don't show up
except
in these groups (they're sort of greyed out in OE) and when I attempted
this
before, those names did not show up. Maybe i should give it another go
as I
do have a current back up of all my contacts. I just find this an
enormous
PITA.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hazel Hazel is offline

Thank you so much!!! I have XP and have just installed Office 2007 Home &
Student. It was diving me crazy that I couldn't do send email from a Word
doc as I used that function quite a bit. Once I found how to get the send to
icon I had the solution.

Hooray!!!

"OspreyEye" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mark Mark is offline

Hi Terry. What does the "MVP" stand for? My question is this: like the
other person, SEND allows only a fax option with email "greyed out". I have
Microsoft 2007 home and student. I was looking at your instructions. Will
they work for me and how exactly do I implement it? Sorry, kinda new to this
stuff.

--
Mark

"preacher" wrote in message
i can send by fax but not even allowed the option of sending a word doc by
email, and that was never a problem with the 2003 program; am now running
2007 office/student verson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hazel Hazel is offline

"Mark" wrote:

Hi Terry. What does the "MVP" stand for? My question is this: like the
other person, SEND allows only a fax option with email "greyed out". I have
Microsoft 2007 home and student. I was looking at your instructions. Will
they work for me and how exactly do I implement it? Sorry, kinda new to this
stuff.

--
Mark

Hi Mark,

I also have 2007 Home & Student and am using XP. If I use the Send to link
under the button in the upper left hand corner (I think they're calling it
the pizza button) my only choices are Email as attachment (greyed out) and
internet fax.

At the moment if you want to send a doc as an attachment you'll need to save
it on your hard drive and attach it to the email manually.

To send the document so that it becomes the email body you'll need to
"Customize the Quick Access Toolbar" (QAT). There's little arrow to the
right of it. Click on that then choose More Commands; then click on the
arrow in the left column and choose all commands; the one you want is "Send
to Mail Recipient". The icon will appear in that toolbar and you'll then be
able to click on it to send your documents as emails.

I hope that this helps.

Hazel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hazel Hazel is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Word 2007 needs Outlook 2007 to send emails. But I am told that there is a
registry hack that lets you send from Windows Mail instead. If you post as a
new question, one of the other MVPs (Most Valued Professional - a Microsoft
euphemism) may have the answer for you.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I don't have Outlook 2007 but have been able to place the send to button on
the Quick Access Toolbar. This allows me to send my word doc as email that
appears in Outlook Express circa 2003.

Hazel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mark Mark is offline

I followed your advice. My question is this: when I create a doc and want to
email it, how do I do it? where is the button that gives me the option???
Thanks!!!
--
Mark

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Terry,

It will work with Thunderbird and Outlook Express on Windows XP. Windows Vista Mail (the updated OE) doesn't provide the hooks for
doing this with Word. I don't know if that's also true with other email apps on Vista.

===========
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
I've not seen any word from MS about this but AFAIAA, Word 2007 will only
let you send as an email when you are using Outlook 2007 as the email
client. Otherwise you can only send as an attachment.

Terry
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Click on the Office Button and select Send, Email which will send the
document as an attachment.

If you want to send as part of an email rather than attachment, then you
need to add the missing command to the QAT. Right-click on he QAT and choose
All Commands and then add the Send to Mail Recipient command to the QAT.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP