Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
donna donna is offline

Default Styles

Is it possible to have a style that only makes the text (font) hidden and
won't reformat the way the text is actually set up (i.e., left indent, space
before and after, a table, a figure). All I want the style to do is hide the
text.

I need a style that also unhides the text but does not change the way it is
formatted.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Create a style whose text color is set to white. (This assumes, of course,
that you are printing on white paper.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Donna" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a style that only makes the text (font) hidden and
won't reformat the way the text is actually set up (i.e., left indent,
space
before and after, a table, a figure). All I want the style to do is hide
the
text.

I need a style that also unhides the text but does not change the way it
is
formatted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
donna donna is offline

Excellent suggestion!! However, it won't work for me. I have created a
hidden font style based on character and that works, but it also strips out
the format which is left .7, 12 pt below.

"Donna" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a style that only makes the text (font) hidden and
won't reformat the way the text is actually set up (i.e., left indent,
space
before and after, a table, a figure). All I want the style to do is hide
the
text.

I need a style that also unhides the text but does not change the way it
is
formatted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
donna donna is offline

P.S. Sorry, it's Monday for me! I need for the text to "truncate" as if it
were not there and when/if they want it to show, we can reapply the original
body text style for the text to then reappear.

"Donna" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a style that only makes the text (font) hidden and
won't reformat the way the text is actually set up (i.e., left indent,
space
before and after, a table, a figure). All I want the style to do is hide
the
text.

I need a style that also unhides the text but does not change the way it
is
formatted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Hiding the text removes the text as though it had never been entered. The
remaining text moves to fill the space.
Colouring it white makes it appear to be missing, but leaves the space it
occupied thus unaffecting the formatting of the document.
The only other solutions would be to use one or other in a table cell or to
use INCLUDETEXT or AUTOTEXT fields.

"Donna" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a style that only makes the text (font)
hidden and won't reformat the way the text is actually set up
(i.e., left indent, space
before and after, a table, a figure). All I want the style to do
is hide the
text.

I need a style that also unhides the text but does not change the
way it is
formatted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
donna donna is offline

The text needs to disappear and the paragraph not look like it had or has the
text in it until the need arises to unhide it. So the white font won't work.
I will give your other suggestions a try. Thanks so much for your help.
And if I am lucky enough to sbumble upon the answer, I'll let you know!

"Donna" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a style that only makes the text (font)
hidden and won't reformat the way the text is actually set up
(i.e., left indent, space
before and after, a table, a figure). All I want the style to do
is hide the
text.

I need a style that also unhides the text but does not change the
way it is
formatted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Create a character style based on Default Paragraph Font. Select only the
Hidden font attribute for this style. Apply as needed.

What you do to unhide will depend on version. In Word 2003 and earlier,
selecting the text and using Ctrl+Spacebar will remove the character style
but will also remove any other directly applied formatting. In Word 2007,
you can choose to remove just the character style, but this is probably not
the most efficient approach. More efficient is to modify the style to be Not
Hidden.