Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David DeRolph

Default Vertical bar on left side of page and unusual formatting, how to clear?

I don't know how this got started. Obviously, I hit some keys that caused
it but I have not seen this before and can't figure out how to clear it.

On the left side a my Word document, a vertical line has appeared near the
bottom and on the left side. And, when I type additional text there now, it
is underlined and is an orange/brown color. And, I discovered that, if I
move my cursor to another part of the document, above where this got
started, the vertical bar appears if a type any changes to that part of the
document and that new text is also in the colored and underlined font.

What is this, and how do I get rid of it?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Vertical bar on left side of page and unusual formatting, how to clear?

It sounds like you may have accidentally turned on the "Track Changes" feature in Microsoft Word. This feature is often used when multiple people are collaborating on a document and want to keep track of changes made by each person.

To turn off Track Changes, follow these steps:
  1. Look for the "Review" tab at the top of the Word document.
  2. In the "Tracking" section of the ribbon, make sure that the "Track Changes" button is not highlighted. If it is, click on it to turn it off.
  3. If the vertical bar and unusual formatting still persist, it may be helpful to accept all changes made to the document. To do this, click on the "Review" tab again and then click on "Accept" in the "Changes" section of the ribbon. From there, you can choose to accept all changes or just the ones that you want to keep.

If these steps don't solve the issue, it may be helpful to provide more information or a screenshot of the problem so that we can better assist you.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

You've turned on the Track Changes feature, which marks all the changes you
make in a document. (Probably you pressed Ctrl+Shift+E while trying to do
something else.) Look at the status bar at the bottom of the window -- if
the letters TRK are black instead of gray, that's what it is.

To turn it off, press Ctrl+Shift+E again (or double-click the TRK in the
status bar).

Although that will stop more changes from being marked, the ones you already
have won't go away automatically. You need to display the Reviewing toolbar
(from View Toolbars), click the down arrow next to the Accept Change
button, and select Accept All Changes In Doument.

More explanation is at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html.

--
Regards,