Koray

Default How to recover a accidentally saved file.

My father is writing a book. He has selected the whole document and deleted.
After that he saved the document. How can i recover the document.
Opinicus

"Koray" wrote

My father is writing a book. He has selected the whole
document and deleted.
After that he saved the document. How can i recover the
document.

If he only saved once, the {filename}.wbk file should be OK.
Immediately make a copy of it and save it in a safe place.
Make another copy and rename it {filename}.doc or whatever
extension the file he was working with had.

My wife did exactly what your father did except that she
went to the trouble of saving the file twice, which of
course trashed the backup.

A tip: I disabled the control-A shortcut to select the whole
document on her setup of Word. You might consider doing the
same thing.

Another tip: Every morning after she's worked on her book
(she works at night) I copy the file and its backup to a
separate directory on a USB drive attached to her system.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Graham Mayor

If the option to create a backup file is not set - and this is the default -
then it looks as though he will have a lot of retyping to do. However a file
recovery program capable of disc sector editing may be able to recover much
of it, provided no further work is done on the PC until this has been
attempted.

Opinicus wrote:
"Koray" wrote

[...]

Doug Robbins

If he did not close the document, select Undo from the toolbar. If he
closed the document, he has a real problem. The first lesson he needs to
learn is to make back ups of his work.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Koray" wrote in message
My father is writing a book. He has selected the whole document and
deleted.
After that he saved the document. How can i recover the document.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

As you've seen from the other responses, it all boils down to two chances:
(1) Does he have Word set up to automatically make a backup?
(2) Has he closed that file?

If the answer to 1 is no and 2 is yes, then apart from spending money on
recovery software/service, the answer is no.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Koray" wrote in message
My father is writing a book. He has selected the whole document and
deleted.
After that he saved the document. How can i recover the document.

Opinicus

"Graham Mayor" wrote
If the option to create a backup file is not set - and
this is the default -

Really? I never noticed that. One can't help wondering who
made such a dumb design decision. Has to have been somebody
who never had a program lose his work.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

I suspect that the reason is that .wbk files are not visible in File
Open/Save unless you have "All Files" displayed, so users would ordinarily
be unaware of them, and they do tend to accumulate. If HD space is at a
premium, this can be an issue. And users don't like "mystery files." Look
how exercised they get about temp files, and those are deleted (or are
supposed to be) when you close the document.

"Opinicus" wrote in message
"Graham Mayor" wrote
If the option to create a backup file is not set - and
this is the default -

Really? I never noticed that. One can't help wondering who
made such a dumb design decision. Has to have been somebody
who never had a program lose his work.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Daiya Mitchell

On 9/4/05 5:20 AM, "Opinicus" wrote:

My wife did exactly what your father did except that she
went to the trouble of saving the file twice, which of
course trashed the backup.

That's why I actually don't have backups turned on. The high probability
that I would hit ctrl-s twice before realizing I messed up makes it not
worth dealing with.

Koray,

What a crappy feeling. If the .wbk file doesn't work, you might try
some undelete tools to mine for the data. Here are some freeware
undelete tools:

http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

Ultimately, you should have a backup plan that at least backs up your
critical files once per day to a second disk drive (not a second
partition on the same drive!). There are all kinds of affordable remote
backup plans that are good for this. Here are a collection of freeware
backup tools to at least get you started:

http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm

Good luck!

Opinicus

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote

That's why I actually don't have backups turned on. The
high probability
that I would hit ctrl-s twice before realizing I messed up
makes it not
worth dealing with.

But that ensures that you won't have any backups at all.
:-(

Unless I'm mistaken, earlier versions of Word allowed you to
do a double back up. When you saved a file, the earlier doc
file would be renamed wbk and, if a wbk file already
existed, that would first be renamed to wk2 or somesuch.

I wish they would bring that back.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse