D. Turnipseed

Default Reading Layout View Problematic as Default Word Attachment View

Our organization has noticed problems with using the Reading Layout View in
Word 2003 as the default view for Word attachments sent via email. Documents
containing tables are not formatted as intended by the sender. Consequently,
the sender cannot expect a consistent product when discussing attachments
that they have sent to a recipient and must spend additional time explaining
to the recipient (assuming both parties are computer literate enough to
handle this task) how to switch to the print layout view. Perhaps an
intermediate dialog would be helpful here when the attachment pops up in
Reading Layout View. The dialog might make it easy to toggle the view on or
off, or perhaps have the attachment start in print layout view and just make
the reading layout view an option in a dialog that pops up when the
attachment is opened.

Thanks for listening.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Dawn Crosier

Inside the Reading Layout view, on the Reading Layout toolbar, there
is a button called "Close" That will allow you to close out of the
Reading Layout and open your default Word view. (In my case, Print
Layout).

You can change the behavior of opening attachments from Outlook.
Inside of Word, from the Tools menu, select Options. Select the
General tab. Clear the check mark from Allow starting in Reading
Layout. Attachments will open to your default view.

You can always switch back to the Reading Layout view, by selecting
the View menu, and selecting Reading Layout.

I hope this helps.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"D. Turnipseed" D. wrote in
message news
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

If changes to Tools | Options are not being saved, it could be that you need
to rebuild the Word Data key in the Windows Registry (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissngMenusEtc.htm), but it could
equally well be that an add-in is making the change; this is what I finally
figured out was the cause of my problems when I had an option that wouldn't
stay set.

ps.com...

Dawn Crosier wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John

Default Reading Layout View Problematic as Default Word Attachment Vie

Thank you, Thank you,Thank you. I cannot believe I missed that. I thought I
looked everywhere, but I guess I was wrong. Thanks again.