TonySeb

Default Footnote Screen Tips Flash Rapidly

In a Word document with footnotes, when I place my pointer over a footnote
reference mark, the screen tip showing the text of the footnote flashes
rapidly, so I cannot comfortably read the text. What causes that phenomenon
and how can I restore the normal non-flashing feature? --TonySeb

This obscure and extremely annoying bug was corrected in an SP, I think, but
the workaround is to switch the Document Map on and back off. This must be
done once per document in each Word session (that is, every time you open a
document with footnotes, you'll have to DM on/DM off once to see the
ScreenTips).

"TonySeb" wrote in message
In a Word document with footnotes, when I place my pointer over a footnote
reference mark, the screen tip showing the text of the footnote flashes
rapidly, so I cannot comfortably read the text. What causes that

phenomenon
and how can I restore the normal non-flashing feature? --TonySeb

TonySeb

Suzanne, I tried your suggestion several times
to no avail. Will keep trying with several different
documents. My Office updates up-to-date.
Thanks. --TonySeb

"TonySeb" wrote in message
In a Word document with footnotes, when I place my pointer over a footnote
reference mark, the screen tip showing the text of the footnote flashes
rapidly, so I cannot comfortably read the text. What causes that

phenomenon
and how can I restore the normal non-flashing feature? --TonySeb

You didn't say what version of Word you have; as far as I know this issue
occurs only in Word 2002 and is documented in "WD2002: ScreenTip for
Footnote or Endnote Reference Mark Flickers and Contains No Text When You
Rest the Pointer Over the Mark" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324289

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This obscure and extremely annoying bug was corrected in an SP, I think,

but
the workaround is to switch the Document Map on and back off. This must

be
done once per document in each Word session (that is, every time you

open a
document with footnotes, you'll have to DM on/DM off once to see the
ScreenTips).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"TonySeb" wrote in message
In a Word document with footnotes, when I place my pointer over a

footnote
reference mark, the screen tip showing the text of the footnote

flashes
rapidly, so I cannot comfortably read the text. What causes that

phenomenon
and how can I restore the normal non-flashing feature? --TonySeb

The DM workaround is the only solution I know of.

"TonySeb" wrote in message
In a Word document with footnotes, when I place my pointer over a

footnote
reference mark, the screen tip showing the text of the footnote

flashes
rapidly, so I cannot comfortably read the text. What causes that
phenomenon
and how can I restore the normal non-flashing feature? --TonySeb

Create Screen Tips? Lugubrious Microsoft Word Help 1 June 14th 05 02:39 AM
Why can't I unlink footnotes between chapters? Anne at Duke Microsoft Word Help 5 May 4th 05 03:49 PM
Screen Tips gap Microsoft Word Help 1 February 16th 05 04:24 PM
screen tips for endnotes AUSongbird Microsoft Word Help 1 December 15th 04 08:29 PM
Turn off screen tips about size and type of files in open window slcamero Microsoft Word Help 1 November 24th 04 07:55 PM