1d

Default How do I mailmerge categories from Outlook

I would like to include contacts from a single category in Outlook 2003
within Word 2003 mailmerge.
Graham Mayor

See http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

1d wrote:
I would like to include contacts from a single category in Outlook
2003 within Word 2003 mailmerge.

Mikey

The technique displayed by Graham Mayor is correct...however, I detect a
limitation as well as experienced first hand the frustration of retraining a
user. The procedure described by Graham Mayor (and taught by Microsoft) for
Outlook generates a temp doc file and it does work; however, if you update or
make changes to Contacts, then you have to reselect the filtered list and
rerun your entire process.

I wish Microsoft would just include the "Categories" field in the list of
fields in a standard Word Mail Merge so that the mail merge process could be
controlled by Word and not Outlook. Afterall, if they took the time to
include the User Defined fields why not include other fields or give you the
option to select the fields to show.

I have found a few work-arounds to this problem; however, none are as good
as including "Category" in the standard Word Mail Merge.

Yeah, you could use a User Defined field, however most users do not want you
to modify their forms and be retrained to use them.

I am open to suggestions, if you know of a configuration change that can fix
this....I have some users that would be greatful.