a9

Default Copies to:

I have set up a mail merge for a letter from a Word data source. At the end
of the letter, I would like to show the names of the other people the letter
is sent to, i.e. cc:

Is this possible please and, if so, what sort of field do I need?

Andrea Jones

I suppose you could do it by using the database toolbar (see
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk/worddatabase.htm) to add a table of all the
names from your data source except the person receiving that letter (i.e. the
query options would have to be that NAME Is Not Equal To MERGEFIELD NAME). On
the Select Fields section of the query window remove all the fields except
the NAME field and remove the tick from the 'Show field names' box. Set the
Table AutoFormat to None so you don't get any borders around it. When you're
setting up the database field type in anything for the comparison value in
the 'Not equals to' statement. When you've made the database fields press
ALT+F9 and delete the name you entered from the statement replacing it with
{MERGEFIELD NAME} (press CTRL+F9 to get the curly braces) where NAME is
whatever your field is called. When you are creating the database field make
sure you tick the 'Insert table as a field' box or you won't be able to make
it interact with your mail merge.

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutclait.com

"a9" wrote:

I have set up a mail merge for a letter from a Word data source. At the end
of the letter, I would like to show the names of the other people the letter
is sent to, i.e. cc:

Is this possible please and, if so, what sort of field do I need?

a9

Thanks Andrea

While I was waiting for a reply, I tried a few things, one of which worked!

I went to my Word data source document and added a column with the heading
row "Allnames". In the first person's record, I inserted all the names (not
too many, fortunately) into this column with paragraph breaks between each
one. I pasted these to the other records and then just had to go through and
delete one name from each record the Allnames column.

When I inserted "Allnames" after "cc" in my letter, I got precisely what I
needed!

Thanks again.
a9