Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dbaechtel dbaechtel is offline

Default Trouble with Word 2007 in Outline Mode

I am having trouble with Word 2007 in Outline mode. I have a multilevel
Outline document. I have colasped the document so that I only see items at
level 4 and less. I have a topic at level 4 in the outline that has some
content inside at deeper levels. This topic is preceeded by a plus sign that
indicates that there is more content inside. I want to add another topic
following this topic at level 4, so I position my input cursor at the end of
the text of the topic on level 4 and hit the enter key. This should create a
new topic at level 4 without moving the collasped content within the previous
topic. This is how previous verions of Word in outline mode worked. Instead
it creates a new topic at level 4 and moves all of the internal contents of
the previous topic under the newly created topic.

For example, let's say we have a document in Outline mode with several
levels of content. Let's say we have a topic at level 4 called "Level 4
Stuff". There is more content under "Level 4 Stuff" at lower levels. The
document is collasped so that only levels 4 and less are shown. Now we want
to add another topic after "Level 4 Stuff" called "More Level 4 stuff". How
do I do that without expanding any of the document topic and without moving
the content under "Level 4 Stuff"?

Shouldn't just pushing the Enter key with the Insert cursor at the end of
the line "Level 4 Stuff" work this way?

Any assitance appreciated.

Don Baechtel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Yes, that is the way it should work. I think you've discovered another bug,
which I will report to Microsoft.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"dbaechtel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dbaechtel dbaechtel is offline

Thanks for reporting the BUG to MS. I am surprised that this was not found
and fixed earlier. You would think that MS functional testing should have
caught this before release.

Is there any reasonable way to work around this without a lot of effort?

--
Don Baechtel

"dbaechtel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Place your cursor at the beginning of the next heading style and press Enter
there. Then you will need to up arrow to begin typing, but at least your
heading will be in the correct location.

--

"dbaechtel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dbaechtel dbaechtel is offline

What should I do if I am at the end of the document, which I frequently am,
and there is no "next heading"? How do I get a new topic at the same level
without disturbing the underlying content?

Thanks for your help.

--
Don Baechtel

"dbaechtel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

I'd create a new heading at the previous level like I indicated, and then
drag it to the end.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP
"Education Lasts a Lifetime"

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
news What should I do if I am at the end of the document, which I frequently am,

"dbaechtel" wrote in message
[...]

My word outline mode is not shifting down levels with the tab. Kerry Collins Microsoft Word Help 1 March 19th 07 09:28 AM
Where is "Wrap to Window" for outline mode in Word 2007? raymm Microsoft Word Help 1 December 7th 06 10:26 AM
Using Outline mode et New Users 1 November 27th 05 06:56 PM
How do I print landscape from outline mode in MS Word billxian Microsoft Word Help 9 September 12th 05 10:39 AM
word safe mode trouble shooting userflw Microsoft Word Help 1 February 28th 05 01:38 PM