Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lariveesl lariveesl is offline

Default "running virus scan" slowing down Word

I have Office 2003 installed on Windows XP SP3. I am also using AVG 8 Free.
I have been using AVG since I bought the computer over 3 years ago. Lately
I have been having a hard time opening a Word file. I see the words
"running virus scan" on the lower left of the status bar. It takes much too
long to open the document, approx 20 seconds. My computer is not an extreme
gaming computer but it is relatively fast and it should not take this long
to open a short Word file. My other applications open fine. I uninstalled
AVG but I am still seeing the message about running a virus scan. I then
put AVG back on, but disabled the Resident Shield, but the running virus
scan continues every time I open Word. I see the message running a virus
scan when I open Excel but it only takes a few seconds for the file to open,
nothing like what I am experiencing in Word. AVG is up to date and never
shows that I have a virus or threat. I run Ad-Aware and SpyBot from time to
time and keep a relatively "clean" computer.

Do I have a problem with AVG? Their web site offered no help. Do I have a
problem with Office? With Windows? Any help would be appreciated. I am
posting here since it seems to happen primarily in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The virus scan message comes not from Word but from the linked AVG
anti-virus software.

You can unregister the calling DLL by running the following command line
from Windows Start Run

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll"