Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Bobcat Bobcat is offline

Default Captions inside text box

Figure captions inside text box are not recognized when creating a Table of
Figures, including 'in line wrapping' style. I'm attempting to creating
floating photos with attached figure captions and then create a Table of
Figures.
How can I do that in Office 2003?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Bobcat wrote:
Figure captions inside text box are not recognized when creating a
Table of Figures, including 'in line wrapping' style. I'm attempting
to creating floating photos with attached figure captions and then
create a Table of Figures.
How can I do that in Office 2003?

Use frames instead of text boxes. (Text boxes are in Word's graphics layer,
which is invisible to the TOC/TOF mechanism. Frames, while they're
positionable like text boxes, are in the text layer.)

Existing text boxes can be converted to frames -- select the box, click
Format Text Box, go to the Text Box tab, and click Convert to Frame. Or you
can use a macro to convert them all in one shot:

Sub TBtoFrame()
Dim TB As Shape
For Each TB In ActiveDocument.Shapes
If TB.Type = msoTextBox Then
TB.ConvertToFrame
End If
Next
End Sub

New frames can be inserted from the button on the Forms toolbar (which you
can Alt+drag to any other toolbar for convenience). Or you can define a
paragraph style that includes a frame, which appears when you apply the
style to text.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman