Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Di Di is offline

Default Is there anyway to change all numbered headings to text?

I have a document that has heading numbering 1., 1.1, 1.1.1... I need to lock
the numbering so if someone does edits, the numbering does not change.
Is this any way that this can be done without having to select each title
individually and changing it to plain text?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Di

Yes, you can do this, but be warned: it's a one-way street. Once you do
this, you can not issue a counter-command to turn the 'hard' numbers back
into heading numbering.

So a wise person might do this on a copy of the document.

Open the document and do Alt-F11. That opens the Visual Basic editor. If you
can see a pane marked "Immediate", then click there. If not, do View
Immediate Window and click there.

Type the following:
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
and press Enter.

To get back to Word do File Close and return to Microsoft Word.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word