WordHack

Default Changing Column width on Multiple tables..

Hello all,

I have a document that has many repititions of the same table design (10
Columns variable rows). I am trying to change the width of a specific column
in all of the tables at the same time. (Change Column 5 from 1 inch to 1.25
inches).

I have tried selecting multiple tables and dragging the column border marks
on the ruler, but this only changes the last table selected

Suggestions?

-J.
Shauna Kelly

Hi WordHack

As far as I know, the following is the only way to achieve what you want
easily. It's a bit fiddly, but may be worth it.

Tools Customize. On the Commands tab, in the Categories list, choose "All
Commands". Find the entry called "Table Format Cell". Click on that name,
drag it to your Tables menu and drop it just below the Table Properties
entry. When you drop in the new one, you'll see that it is also called Table
Properties. So, right-click the button and re-label it as "Cell height and
width" (which was its name in versions of Word years ago). Now, click Close
on the Customize dialog.

In your table, click in the column whose width you want to change. Click the
"Cell height and width" button you just created, and it will pop up a dialog
box to let you change the column width. Specify the column width you want
and click OK.

Now, click in the corresponding column in the next table and press F4. It
will repeat the column width command.

F4 is, in theory, the 'repeat the last command' button. But in recent years
it has lost its usefulness and often only works with older commands. This
explains the need to reinstate the old button that uses the old dialog box.
F4 works with the old dialog box, but not with commands effected through the
new Table Properties dialog box.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word