Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Weinreich

Default Copying Relative Hyperlinks

If I copy just the actual relative Hyperlink in Word created using a
hyperlink base, the hyperlink is changed from a relative link to a fixed
address using the full path.

If I copy text including a relative Hyperlink, the Hyperlink retains its
relative address, i.e. ..\folder\filename.doc#bookmark or
...\..\filename.xls#'spreadsheet name'!cellreference.

Since I want references to remain relative, the change to a fixed address
represent additional work as I have to edit the hyperlink and change them or
copy additional text and delete the text. I don't remember this being a
problem prior to going to Word 2003 just recently.

Can some help me understand what I need to do to keep the address relative
when I copy just the link?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

I'm afraid you've found the only way.

This is another of those out-of-control auto-madness "features" that turn up
from time to time. The thing is poorly documented and responds to a whole
lot of rules that are not disclosed, so you can't dependably get control of
it...

You may find that you have fewer dramas with it if you do NOT use Hypelink
Base. Hyperlink Base is designed to enable hyperlinks to work in a document
that will be subsequently published to a server. For other documents, I
find it's better not to use it.

Cheers

On 27/4/06 3:26 PM, in article
, "Lee Weinreich"
wrote:

If I copy just the actual relative Hyperlink in Word created using a
hyperlink base, the hyperlink is changed from a relative link to a fixed
address using the full path.

If I copy text including a relative Hyperlink, the Hyperlink retains its
relative address, i.e. ..\folder\filename.doc#bookmark or
..\..\filename.xls#'spreadsheet name'!cellreference.

Since I want references to remain relative, the change to a fixed address
represent additional work as I have to edit the hyperlink and change them or
copy additional text and delete the text. I don't remember this being a
problem prior to going to Word 2003 just recently.

Can some help me understand what I need to do to keep the address relative
when I copy just the link?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Weinreich

Thanks. You just explained a different posting I have named Relative
Hyperlinks where I move a folder of folders of files from the LAN to my C
drive and expected the links to be resolved back to the LAN but were resolved
to my C drive. Now that I know, it has and may in the future come in useful
when I need an independent copy.

I did a bit more trial and errors. I select the links I have copied and use
the F9 Update function and it makes the links relative again. I haven't
tested Update Links on save yet.

Thanks again.

Lee