Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil Neil is offline

Default Can Word 2003 & 2007 B2TR co-exist?

Hello

I have Office 2003 Professional installed on my laptop. Some weeks ago I
installed Office 2007 Beta 2, leaving the Office 2003 applications installed
(although Outlook 2003 was replaced by Outlook 2007). I also installed the
Beta 2 of Visio and OneNote 2007.The two Office suites appeared to happily
co-exist until I installed the Beta 2 Technical Refresh. Now I have a very
annoying problem which affects Word 2003 and 2007...

Step 1: If I start Word 2003 a dialog appears with the text 'Preparing to
install...'. After ~ 30 seconds I get a second dialog appear which mentions a
problem with registering the type library for the PortalConnect.dll (I've
managed to prevent this second dialog appearing by downloading the 'missing'
DLL and putting it into the directory referenced in the second dialog).

Step 2: I can then shutdown and restart Word 2003 multiple times and it will
restart without issue.

Step 3: If I then start Word 2007 I get a dialog headed 'Configuration
Progress' with a progress bar and the text 'Configuring Microsoft Office
Professional Plus 2007 (Beta)'. This dialog remains on screen for about a
minute while the progress bar fills to 100%. Word 2007 then appears.

Step 4: I can then shutdown and restart Word 2007 multiple times and it will
restart without issue. If however I then start Word 2003 I'm back to step 1
above.

I've tried running Office 2007's Diagnostics utility but this did not help.

It does only seem to affect Word at the moment - other applications common
to both Office 2003 and 2007 startup without issue.

Is there a trick to getting Word 2003 and 2007 B2TR to co-exist happily on
the same machine?

Regards,

Neil
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Answered in Microsoft.public.office.misc.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote