Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Charlie Brown Charlie Brown is offline

Default Error in AVERAGE results

In Word 2003, I have created an evaluation form which has several separate
tables for each area being evaluated. The score of each area is placed in the
last cell of each table. The score is a text form field as a number between 1
and 3 or left blank.

At the end of the form I have placed another table for evaluation results.
In that table I am trying to average the scores using a formula.
Unfortunately the formula counts the blank fields when it is averaging, thus
giving an incorrect answer. My formula is simply this;

=AVERAGE(score1,score2,score3,score4,score5)

Any suggestions how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Charlie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

{ = (score1 + score2 + score3 + score4 + score5)/{ = ({ IF score1 0, 1,
0 } + { IF score2 0, 1, 0 } +{ IF score3 0, 1, 0 } +{ IF score4 0, 1,
0 } +{ IF score5 0, 1, 0 }) } }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Charlie Brown" wrote in message
In Word 2003, I have created an evaluation form which has several separate
tables for each area being evaluated. The score of each area is placed in
the
last cell of each table. The score is a text form field as a number
between 1
and 3 or left blank.

At the end of the form I have placed another table for evaluation results.
In that table I am trying to average the scores using a formula.
Unfortunately the formula counts the blank fields when it is averaging,
thus
giving an incorrect answer. My formula is simply this;

=AVERAGE(score1,score2,score3,score4,score5)

Any suggestions how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Charlie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Charlie Brown Charlie Brown is offline

Thanks for your reply, Doug.

I entered this formula in the cell and get a syntax error after update. Then
I verified I had typed it correctly to what you have given but kept getting
the syntax error. It took me a while of messing with it, but what I found was
the IF statements do not use commas. Once I removed them it worked; I.E. { IF
score1 0 1 0}.

Thanks again!
--
Charlie