Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
webehills webehills is offline

Default Delete button inserts from clipboard

I have been using Word 2000 for several years now. Suddenly one day the
delete button began to insert from the clipboard instead of deleting what was
highlighted. I have tried every setting in Tools/Options/General and Edit I
can see related to this. I used the Delete all the time out of habit, my
computer at work functions properly so I know I'm not crazy. Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:18:01 -0700, webehills
wrote:

I have been using Word 2000 for several years now. Suddenly one day the
delete button began to insert from the clipboard instead of deleting what was
highlighted. I have tried every setting in Tools/Options/General and Edit I
can see related to this. I used the Delete all the time out of habit, my
computer at work functions properly so I know I'm not crazy. Please help

In Tools Options Edit, uncheck the box for "Use the INS key for
paste" (the third one in the left column).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:

I have been using Word 2000 for several years now. Suddenly one day the
delete button began to insert from the clipboard instead of deleting what was
highlighted. I have tried every setting in Tools/Options/General and Edit I
can see related to this. I used the Delete all the time out of habit, my
computer at work functions properly so I know I'm not crazy. Please help

In Tools Options Edit, uncheck the box for "Use the INS key for
paste" (the third one in the left column).

Sorry, I was "reading" what I expected, not what was there.

I suspect something (not necessarily something you did) has reassigned
the Delete key to the Paste function. I have no idea what that
something might be, but here's how to put it back to its original
function:

Open the Tools Customize dialog and click the Keyboard button. In
the next dialog, click Edit in the Categories list, and then click
EditClear in the Commands list. Put the cursor in the "Press new
shortcut key" box and press the Delete key. Click the Assign button.
The "Current keys" box should now contain "Del". Click OK in both
dialogs. When you exit from Word, if it asks to save changes to
Normal.dot, say yes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
webehills webehills is offline

I followed your instructions, opened a new doc, did a few quick tests and it
worked. However, what I noticed was when I hit the "delete" key in the
"press new shortcut key" is automatically added: Del,Insert. I do not really
use my insert key for paste, I use Ctrl+V. Just not sure if I should leave
it, or try and delete the "Insert" portion of that.

Buy hey ... thanks a million ... I am a happy camper now!!
You're the best.
jh

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
webehills webehills is offline

One more thing ... when I close my Word program, it does not ask to save the
"Normal" template. How do I get this to stay? Everytime I turn the computer
one of have to fix it again.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2003 has a bad habit of randomly losing settings stored in the Word
data key in the registry. Typically these are from the items set in tools
options. This particular setting is tools options save prompt to save
normal template. To overcome this, force the change for each document by
adding the line
Options.SaveNormalPrompt = True
to both an autoopen and an autonew macro in normal.dot (and manually save to
ensure that it holds) - see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm