Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deej Hernandez[_2_] Deej Hernandez[_2_] is offline

Default Dictionary backup

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Vista Home Premium and using Office
2007. I have a lot of specialized words that have been added to my
dictionary in Word. Is there any way to backup the dictionary so that the
next time Office crashes I don't lose all of them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Custom.dic is the file you want to back up. For others, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm (but note that the
Normal template in Word 2007 is Normal.dotm).

http://word.mvps.org

"Deej Hernandez" wrote in message
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Vista Home Premium and using Office
2007. I have a lot of specialized words that have been added to my
dictionary in Word. Is there any way to backup the dictionary so that the
next time Office crashes I don't lose all of them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deej Hernandez[_2_] Deej Hernandez[_2_] is offline

Can you tell me where to find that? A search for custom.dic on my computer
turns up nothing but covers for books in my Book Collector program.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Custom.dic is the file you want to back up. For others, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm (but note that the
Normal template in Word 2007 is Normal.dotm).

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You probably aren't including hidden and system files and folders in your
search. In Word 2007, go to Office Button | Word Options | Proofing and
click the button for Custom Dictionaries. In the Custom Dictionaries dialog,
select CUSTOM.DIC in the list, and you will see the full file path. The
default is C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application
Data\Microsoft\UProof.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Custom.dic is the file you want to back up. For others, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm (but note that the
Normal template in Word 2007 is Normal.dotm).

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twayne Twayne is offline

"Deej Hernandez" wrote in
message
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Vista Home Premium and using
Office 2007. I have a lot of specialized words that have been added
to my dictionary in Word. Is there any way to backup the dictionary
so that the next time Office crashes I don't lose all of them?

Just let it be included in your daily backups so it'll always be up to
date. Why do it separately? You do back up your drives, right?

Twayne`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deej Hernandez[_2_] Deej Hernandez[_2_] is offline

Honey, I live on an extremely limited income. Backup drives are not an
option for me. I have one 80 GB external drive that my daughter bought me
that I copy really important files to (like my pictures, music . . . ). That
does not allow me to back up my entire system all the time.

I went to the Proofing tab in Word but what it lists as the file path for my
custom.dic file doesn't exist. It reads C:\Users\myname\Application
Data\Microsoft\UProof

From my user file I get AppData and then I have 3 files named Local,
LocalLow and Roaming. There is no Custom.dic file in any of them. So can
someone tell me where to find this file? A search on my computer says it
doens't exist.
"Twayne" wrote:

Just let it be included in your daily backups so it'll always be up to
date. Why do it separately? You do back up your drives, right?

Twayne`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deej Hernandez[_2_] Deej Hernandez[_2_] is offline

Yes, of course I am. The AppData file is grayed out.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure you're including hidden and system files and folders in your
search?

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deej Hernandez[_2_] Deej Hernandez[_2_] is offline

I probably don't since this freaking Vista has screwed everything up on my
laptop after it crashed and we couldn't get XP back on it. I fail to see why
I have all these problems since I am the only user account on this and
obviously therefore I am the administrator. If anyone can tell me how to get
this corrected I'd love to have the information. All of my personal files
are sitting here with grayed out read-only attributes that I can't get rid
of. Half the time I have to copy files just to be allowed to rename them.
Vista has to be one of the absolute worst things Microsoft ever came up with.