queenjude

Default can I change the normal (global) template so word always opens wi.

I am trying to change the normal ie global template for Word 2003 so that it
always opens with my altered template, rather than the blank document named
normal. Is this possible?
Thanks

Using Office 2003 - XP
Margaret Aldis

There's a slight issue of terminology here - a "global" template (other than
Normal.dot, which is a special case) is not used to create new documents.
(Global add-ins typically provide toolbars and other customizations).

The easiest way of using your own template for the initial new document is
to place a shortcut to the template on your desktop or Start menu -
double-clicking the shortcut will start Word with a new blank document based
on your template. Alternatively you can use the /t "templatename" Word
startup switch - details in Word Help.

It's also possible to write a short macro called FileNewDefault to create a
document based on your template. If you store this in your Normal.dot, it
will replace the action of clicking the New Blank Document button.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP