Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry Terry is offline

Default convert fractions (2007 edition)

Hi everyone

Back in 7/29/2004 (when I had word 2003) you gave me a great solution to
converting fractions to whole numbers. I used this method for many years.
However, I now have the office 2007/Vista/word and, although I did find a
toolscalculate, I have not found a way of attaching it to my word menu or
documents. Can you update these last three years for me? Can you show me how
it is done in the new 2007 version? (see your message below)
Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Terry H.

"Greg" wrote:

Terry,

Word has a command called ToolsCalculate. Right click a
blank space on your menu and select customize. Click the
Commands tab, in the categories window click All commands,
in the commands window scroll until you find the command
ToolsCalculate. Drag this command and drop in on a menu
or toolbar. Close the customize button.

Type something like 3/5 and then select it. Click the
toolscalculate but and the result in decimal form appears
in the status bar. You can also diplay the result in the
document with editpaste.

Note: If you have
ToolsAutocorrectAutoFormatAsYouTypeReplace As You
TypeFractions checked, you will get an invaled result
when on those special character fractions 1/2, 1/4, 3/4,
etc.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In Word 2007, the main place for customization is the Quick Access
Toolbar. Right-click the toolbar and choose Customize. Set the
category dropdown to Commands Not In the Ribbon. In the list, scroll
down and click on Calculate, then click the Add button between the two
lists.

It's also possible to put it on the ribbon (see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm), but a bit more work
than adding it to the Quick Access Toolbar.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And by default it has no icon, but if you have an older version, you can
design one there and import it; see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm; I've got a button image for
it at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CustomToolbar.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry Terry is offline

Thank you so much. It worked fine, just like in the 2003 version. You have
all been so helpful to me.

May I ask another question?

How to I convert centimeters to numbers/fractions? Do you mind?
--
Terry H.

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 05:16:01 -0700, Terry
wrote:

Thank you so much. It worked fine, just like in the 2003 version. You have
all been so helpful to me.

May I ask another question?

How to I convert centimeters to numbers/fractions? Do you mind?

This question doesn't make sense to me as stated. Centimeters are
almost always stated as a number with a decimal part. What units do
you want the "numbers/fractions" answer to be in? Inches? Points?
Something else?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry Terry is offline

I am sorry; I guess I am confused. What I wanted was "inches"; I really
don't know how to express myself corectly so, if you cannot answer my
question as I stated it, just forget it; it doesn't matter. OK? Thank you
anyway
--
Terry H.

wrote:

Thank you so much. It worked fine, just like in the 2003 version. You have
all been so helpful to me.

May I ask another question?

How to I convert centimeters to numbers/fractions? Do you mind?

This question doesn't make sense to me as stated. Centimeters are
almost always stated as a number with a decimal part. What units do
you want the "numbers/fractions" answer to be in? Inches? Points?
Something else?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you want Word to display distances in inches rather than
centimeters, then change the setting in Office Button Word Options
Advanced Display (fourth batch down), the second dropdown ("Show
measurements in units of").

If you want to change centimeter values to inch values, multiply by
2.54.

wrote:

Thank you so much. *It worked fine, just like in the 2003 version. *You have
all been so helpful to me.

May I ask another question?

How to I convert centimeters to numbers/fractions? *Do you mind?

This question doesn't make sense to me as stated. Centimeters are
almost always stated as a number with a decimal part. What units do
you want the "numbers/fractions" answer to be in? Inches? Points?
Something else?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It goes the other way -- to change centimeters to inches, divide by
2.54. For example, if you have 5.08 cm, that's equivalent to 2 inches.

Word will automatically convert measurements that you put into most
dialogs, such as the indents or line spacing in the paragraph dialog,
or the font size in the font dialog. However, if you type a
measurement in ordinary text in a document, the setting in the options
dialog won't do anything for you.

Possibly the easiest way to do conversions is to type them into
Google's search page. For example, type

5 cm to inches

and click the Search button (or hit Enter), and the result shows

5 centimeters = 1.96850394 inches

wrote:

Thank you so much. *It worked fine, just like in the 2003 version. *You have
all been so helpful to me.

May I ask another question?

How to I convert centimeters to numbers/fractions? *Do you mind?

This question doesn't make sense to me as stated. Centimeters are
almost always stated as a number with a decimal part. What units do
you want the "numbers/fractions" answer to be in? Inches? Points?
Something else?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry Terry is offline

Thank you once again. You are all terrific and try your best to help. That
is so appreciated.

I am going to try your suggestions which, I am sure, will work out fine.

Again, thanks so very much.
--
Terry H.