Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert McN

Default Accidentally deleted the "tools" menu

Dear Support Community,
Today by accident, I removed the €śTools€ť menu from the MS Word menu. I was
trying to make a minor change in the program, and didnt even know I deleted
it. Unfortunately, I open and closed the program before I realized that the
change had been made and as a result, when I realized the problem, I went to
see if I could correct my error by deleting €śnormal.dot€ť and renaming
€śnormal.wbk€ť as €śnormal.dot.€ť That, however, didnt correct the problem
because the menu with the deleted €śtools€ť menu had been saved in the €ś.wbk€ť
file as well. I know I can get back to €śprimal€ť normal.dot by simply
deleting my €śnormal.dot€ť and letting the program create the basic file.
Moreover, I have saved older versions of my €śnormal.dot€ť files in my template
folder that were replaced for various reasons, such as corruptions, etc.
Those older versions have the tool menu in place. Since I have been using MS
word for almost 13 years and my current version of €śnormal.dot€ť has been
tweaked with lots of macros, autocorrects and changes to the menus that I
want to retain. So the last thing I want to do is to start from scratch.
What Im hoping I can do is to €śimport€ť the tools menu onto my current
€śnormal.dot€ť or reconstitute it. Can anyone suggest how I might correct this
problem? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Select View Toolbars Customize Commands tab
Scroll to the bottom of the Categories list on the left, and select Built-in
Menus
Click and Drag the Tools Menu from the Commands list on the right
Drop it right back on your Menu Bar
Click Close

Unfortunately you will have lost any customization you did to the Tools menu
itself.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Robert McN" wrote in message
Dear Support Community,
Today by accident, I removed the "Tools" menu from the MS Word menu. I

was
trying to make a minor change in the program, and didn't even know I

deleted
it. Unfortunately, I open and closed the program before I realized that

the
change had been made and as a result, when I realized the problem, I went

see if I could correct my error by deleting "normal.dot" and renaming
"normal.wbk" as "normal.dot." That, however, didn't correct the problem
because the menu with the deleted "tools" menu had been saved in the

".wbk"
file as well. I know I can get back to "primal" normal.dot by simply
deleting my "normal.dot" and letting the program create the basic file.
Moreover, I have saved older versions of my "normal.dot" files in my

template
folder that were replaced for various reasons, such as corruptions, etc.
Those older versions have the tool menu in place. Since I have been using

MS
word for almost 13 years and my current version of "normal.dot" has been
tweaked with lots of macros, autocorrects and changes to the menus that I
want to retain. So the last thing I want to do is to start from scratch.
What I'm hoping I can do is to "import" the tools menu onto my current
"normal.dot" or reconstitute it. Can anyone suggest how I might correct

this
problem? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert McN

Your response was perfect. I know MS Word pretty well, but I never realized
that I could rebuild the menu bar that way. Thanks a million. Really, I was
drawing on every trick I could to try to rebuild the menu and finally gave
up. It was so simple! You are the best.

Best regards,
Bob