Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Legallisa - switching from WordPerfect Legallisa - switching from WordPerfect is offline

Default Concordance vs. Index

What is the difference between Concordance and Index? I am creating a manual
and want to list the pages certain words appear.

Lisa B
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

A concordance file is a table (usually 2 columns) in which you enter the
terms to be marked for inclusion in the index of another document. See the
information offered here for methods of generating an index in Word:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...892831033.aspx

Tempered by the additional insights & methods found he

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm

I'd suggest that if you do use a concordance file to generate all or part of
your index entries it should be one of the very last things you do. IMHO,
repeatedly updating an index based wholly or in part on a concordance file
can have a negative impact on the stability of the document. Once the index
is built use the manual method to make any required additions or changes.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/10/08 4:40 AM, in article
, "Legallisa - switching
from WordPerfect"
rosoft.com wrote:

What is the difference between Concordance and Index? I am creating a manual
and want to list the pages certain words appear.

Lisa B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

According to Wikipedia, a concordance is an alphabetical list of the
principal words used in a book or body of work, with their immediate
contexts.

An index on the other hand is an alphabetical list of the principal words
used in a book with the numbers of the pages on which they appear.

In Word terminology, a concordance file is a file containing a list of the
words that are to appear in an index that Word uses to create and index.

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Legallisa - switching from WordPerfect"
rosoft.com wrote in
message ...