Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Meg Partridge Meg Partridge is offline

Default How to Lock a Field?

I am trying to create a template so the field codes cannot be changed. I
have a date and a policy number field that I want locked so users cannot
update these. I tried hitting Ctrl-F11, but it did not work. Any help would
be great. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Meg,

Locking a field only prevents Word from updating it - it doesn't stop users editing or over-typing it. If you want that level of
protection, you'll need to put the field in a non-editable Section of your document and protect that Section for forms.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Meg Partridge" Meg wrote in message
I am trying to create a template so the field codes cannot be changed. I
have a date and a policy number field that I want locked so users cannot
update these. I tried hitting Ctrl-F11, but it did not work. Any help would
be great. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Meg,

Yes, it is possible to lock a complete header so it is not editable. If you:
.. insert your header
.. insert a continuous Section break as the very first thing in the body of the document.
.. Use Tools|Protect to protect the document for forms and uncheck the second (and subsequent) sections
the header becomes uneditable. Adding a password increases the protection.

Do note, though, that your users will lose some other functionality with the protected document as well. This will mostly manifest
as menu items being greyed out.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Meg,

Locking a field only prevents Word from updating it - it doesn't stop users editing or over-typing it. If you want that level of
protection, you'll need to put the field in a non-editable Section of your document and protect that Section for forms.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]
-------------------------

"Meg Partridge" Meg wrote in message
I am trying to create a template so the field codes cannot be changed. I
have a date and a policy number field that I want locked so users cannot
update these. I tried hitting Ctrl-F11, but it did not work. Any help would
be great. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

You're welcome