Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
SJRobison SJRobison is offline

Default merge envelope & letter to different printers

I have many merge documents that are set up with an envelope and letter. I
know it is possible to send the envelope and letter to different trays on the
same printer, but I want to actually send them to different printers. The
letters need to print in color and I do not have a color printer that has a
multiple envelope feeder. I have a monocrome printer with a multiple
envelope feeder and a couple of color laser printers. Does anyone know how I
can route the envelope to one printer and the letter to another from the same
merge document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would suggest that the easiest thing to do is to split the mail merge main
document into two and execute the merge of the envelopes separately from
that of the letters.

Alternatively, if you execute the merge to a new document, you should be
able to use the following macro to send the envelopes to one printer and
then the letters to the other printer, providing that you supply the correct
printer names in the places indicated withing the [ ]

Dim i As Long
With Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrintSetup)
.Printer = [Name of Printer for Envelopes]
.DoNotSetAsSysDefault = True
.Execute
End With
With ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To .Sections.Count - 1 Step 2
.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintFromTo, From:="s" & i, To:="s & i"
Next
End With
With Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrintSetup)
.Printer = [Name of Printer for Letters]
.DoNotSetAsSysDefault = True
.Execute
End With
With ActiveDocument
For i = 2 To .Sections.Count Step 2

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"SJRobison" wrote in message
I have many merge documents that are set up with an envelope and letter. I
know it is possible to send the envelope and letter to different trays on
the
same printer, but I want to actually send them to different printers. The
letters need to print in color and I do not have a color printer that has
multiple envelope feeder. I have a monocrome printer with a multiple
envelope feeder and a couple of color laser printers. Does anyone know
how I
can route the envelope to one printer and the letter to another from the
same
merge document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] DrR@RobisonSmiles.com is offline

Thank you for the advice. Your first suggestion is an obvious fix.
However, in my case it is not real practical since the letters are
merged with patient data one at a time. This would mean that we would
need to merge two documents every time instead of just one.

Your second solution sounds promising. However, forgive my ignorance,
but is all of this typed out into the merge document? If so, how do I
know where to enter it? Should some of it be typed in the envelope
and some in the letter? How would this work? Our proprietary program
calls up the merge documents, merges the patient fields and sends them
to print, so I am hoping you are not going to tell me I need to
execute a macro to initiate the process, because I do not think that
would work in my situation.

"SJRobison" wrote in message
I have many merge documents that are set up with an envelope and letter. I
know it is possible to send the envelope and letter to different trays on
the
same printer, but I want to actually send them to different printers. The
letters need to print in color and I do not have a color printer that has
multiple envelope feeder. I have a monocrome printer with a multiple
envelope feeder and a couple of color laser printers. Does anyone know
how I
can route the envelope to one printer and the letter to another from the
same
merge document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Unfortunately, my second solution does amount to running a macro and would
really need to be incorporated into the proprietary program that you
mention.

Without more information on that program, I cannot tell if that would be
feasible.

FYI concerning the code that I posted, see the article "What do I do with
macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me out?" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

--

"SJRobison" wrote in message
I have many merge documents that are set up with an envelope and letter.
know it is possible to send the envelope and letter to different trays
on
the
same printer, but I want to actually send them to different printers.
The
letters need to print in color and I do not have a color printer that
has
multiple envelope feeder. I have a monocrome printer with a multiple
envelope feeder and a couple of color laser printers. Does anyone know
how I
can route the envelope to one printer and the letter to another from
the
same
merge document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] DrR@RobisonSmiles.com is offline

"SJRobison" wrote in message
I have many merge documents that are set up with an envelope and letter.
know it is possible to send the envelope and letter to different trays
on
the
same printer, but I want to actually send them to different printers..
The
letters need to print in color and I do not have a color printer that
has
multiple envelope feeder. *I have a monocrome printer with a multiple
envelope feeder and a couple of color laser printers. *Does anyone know
how I
can route the envelope to one printer and the letter to another from
the
same
merge document?- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate the information. As luck
would have it I am currently at a meeting for the next day and a half
with the programmers of this propietary program. I will show them
this information and see what can be done, if anything. Thanks again,
I appreciate the quick replies.