Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JKarchner JKarchner is offline

Default Help with mail merge

This is my first time ever doing a mail merge and i have run into a problem.
For my mail merge i am taking data from an Access query and putting it into a
table i have created. When i preview the data, everything looks correct, it
is exactly the way that i want it. However when i complete the merge all the
records appear in the same table (on top of each other), and they shouldnt.
Each record should appear in its own table. A table is created for each
record, and each table looks the same with all the records on top of each
other. Can anyone help with this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JKarchner JKarchner is offline

ok well i made some changes and now there is only one table that appears and
all of the data appears in that one on top of each other.... but i would
like for on record to appear in each table. for further clarification, i
created the table in the design that i wanted and assigned the access fields
to fields in the table. there is only one table and i would like for a new
one to be created for each record. thanks again.

"JKarchner" wrote:

This is my first time ever doing a mail merge and i have run into a problem.
For my mail merge i am taking data from an Access query and putting it into a
table i have created. When i preview the data, everything looks correct, it
is exactly the way that i want it. However when i complete the merge all the
records appear in the same table (on top of each other), and they shouldnt.
Each record should appear in its own table. A table is created for each
record, and each table looks the same with all the records on top of each
other. Can anyone help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I presume this is a directory merge or each record would have a new page?

I also presume you have actually completed the merge and are not previewing
the merge source document

If you enter the fields in a table, new rows will be created for each
record.
If you press enter to create a new paragraph *after* the table you will get
a table for each record.

"JKarchner" wrote:

This is my first time ever doing a mail merge and i have run into a
problem. For my mail merge i am taking data from an Access query and
putting it into a table i have created. When i preview the data,
everything looks correct, it is exactly the way that i want it.
However when i complete the merge all the records appear in the same
table (on top of each other), and they shouldnt. Each record should
appear in its own table. A table is created for each record, and
each table looks the same with all the records on top of each other.
Can anyone help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JKarchner JKarchner is offline

Thank you very much that linked solved my problem, i think. I used a letter
instead of a directory and it works. It seems though that when i did this,
page numbers were lost (every page is numbered 1 at the bottom. Is there
another way to go about this or do is there some trick to perserving page
numbers?

"JKarchner" wrote:

This is my first time ever doing a mail merge and i have run into a
problem. For my mail merge i am taking data from an Access query and
putting it into a table i have created. When i preview the data,
everything looks correct, it is exactly the way that i want it.
However when i complete the merge all the records appear in the same
table (on top of each other), and they shouldnt. Each record should
appear in its own table. A table is created for each record, and
each table looks the same with all the records on top of each other.
Can anyone help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JKarchner JKarchner is offline

Ok, well it appears that i fixed it like you had mentioned and returned it to
a directory. I was having problems where the table as moving into the next
page. But i managed to fix the formating and it now works perfectly. Thank
you very much.

"JKarchner" wrote:

This is my first time ever doing a mail merge and i have run into a
problem. For my mail merge i am taking data from an Access query and
putting it into a table i have created. When i preview the data,
everything looks correct, it is exactly the way that i want it.
However when i complete the merge all the records appear in the same
table (on top of each other), and they shouldnt. Each record should
appear in its own table. A table is created for each record, and
each table looks the same with all the records on top of each other.
Can anyone help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A form letter merge of one page only has one page for each record. Each
record will start a new section and the numbering will be set to restart for
each section. If you want the new document to be continue throughout, leave
the numbers off the merge document and add page numbering to the merged
document.