Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Dixie is offline

Default Registry patch to lower security of word - Word does not respond

I need to change the security of Word 2003 to allow it to enable macros in
templates in a large site with dozens of computers. Every computer has
Word's default security set to high. I have come up with this registry
patch.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Security]
"Level"=dword:00000001
I found the key by watching what key changed in the registry when I lowered
the security of Word manually. Now I am really perplexed. If I run this
registry patch, it changes the key shown from 3 (high) to 1 (low), just as
doing it manually via Word does. However, when you go back into Word, the
Security is still set to high, even though the Level is set to 1 in the
registry. Surely I am missing something here. The registry key responds to
changing the macro security in Word, but Word does not respond to having the
key changed from outside.

Can anyone please help with this, as this key is on HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which
means in the network environment it is in, it has to be done once for each
person using each workstation. This is a very large manual task.

TIA
dixie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

NO! NO! NO!
Do *NOT* set the security of your users PCs to low. This will open the door
to macro viruses and is not necessary for what you want to achieve.
You need to set the user's PCs to trust installed templates and add-ins.
This (and the macro security) is set from the Word data key settings sub key
along with a load of other settings. This binary key does not lend itself to
manual manipulation in the manner you imagine.
You are either going to have to instruct the users how to set macro security
to trust installed templates and add-ins, or do what the company is paying
you for and adjust each one yourself.

Dixie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Dixie is offline

The second option is not possible as the sites are spread over a distance of
more than 1200km. As you can tell, I am not a Word person Graham, what do
you mean by the "Word data key settings sub key "? Is this an easy thing to
set?

Dixie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The registry key in question is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data\Settings

This is a user key, binary and non-editable, which contains most of the
settings in tools options and a few other things besides.. The only
practical way to set it is through tools options security macro
security trusted publishers trust all installed templates and add-ins.

If you cannot attend the sites, the easiest plan will be to instruct the
users to set this option.

Dixie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Dixie is offline

OK, I follow that, but what is meant by an installed template? How do you
install a template as opposed to just having a number of them somewhere in a
folder on the system. Does that mean that they have to be specifically
placed in one of the paths that is in Option Files as either User Templatess
or Workgroup Templates?

dixie

Dixie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

An installed template is a template or addin installed in the User
Templates, Workgroup Templates or Startup Templates.
http://www.gmayor.com/Template_Locations.htm
A template can be used wherever it is stored, but it will only be installed
if placed in one of the defined folders as you surmise.

Dixie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Dixie is offline

Good, now I'm starting to understand. Now, since each machine I deal with
is set up with the same image, then the User Templates will have the same
path. AFAIK, it is something like C:\...\Microsoft\Templates. There seems
to be no way to see the full extended version of this path. However, since
we are dealing with a large network, obviously the Users templates should be
on a network server drive. That is where they are currently.

The problem is I guess that each version of Word (which is on the
workstations) would have to be manually changed to the correct path? I take
it there is no short cut for this? Only wishing. That looks like being a
big job for the system administrators.

Can you explain to me the difference between user templates and workgroup
templates?

Thankyou.
dixie

Dixie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The user templates folder (which contains the essential user file
normal.dot) is usually best located on the local machine. Normal.dot is not
designed to be shared.

Workgroup templates are document templates intended to be shared. This can
be a common folder on a network resource. As far as the user is concerned,
the two types integrate seamlessly.