Jackie

Default How do I set tab to equal 5 spaces instead of inches?

I was trying to figure out how to set my tab so each time I hit it it goes 5
spaces from my last word typed.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I set tab to equal 5 spaces instead of inches?

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can set your tab to equal 5 spaces instead of inches:
  1. Open your Microsoft Word document.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section to open the "Paragraph" dialog box.
  4. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, click on the "Tabs" button at the bottom.
  5. In the "Tabs" dialog box, under "Tab stop position," type "5" in the "Set" box.
  6. Under "Alignment," select "Left."
  7. Under "Leader," select "None."
  8. Click on the "Set" button, then click "OK" to close the "Tabs" dialog box.
  9. Click "OK" again to close the "Paragraph" dialog box.

Now, each time you hit the tab key, it will move your cursor 5 spaces to the right of your last word typed. I hope that helps!
__________________
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:59:09 -0700, Jackie
wrote:

I was trying to figure out how to set my tab so each time I hit it it goes 5
spaces from my last word typed.

This makes sense only if you're using a nonproportional font such as
Courier New or Lucida Sans Typewriter, where the widths of all
characters (including spaces) are the same. In those fonts, you can
figure out the width (in inches) of five spaces in the current font
size, and use that to set tabstops.

There are only a few nonproportional fonts, though. Most fonts are
proportional, meaning that each character has its own width -- for
example, an 'i' is narrower than an 'm' -- and Word may automatically
adjust space characters to different widths in different lines. In
these fonts, "the width of five spaces" is a meaningless concept.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...ettingTabs.htm for more
info.

--
Regards,