Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aaron LaBeau Aaron LaBeau is offline

Default Word 2007 Linked OLE Object to Excel 2007 file performance problem

Hello gang,

I have a 34 page Word document that includes 18 Linked OLE objects to
various columns from a Excel 2007 file with 18 worksheets. If I put both the
word file and excel file on my local machine and launch the word file, it
opens in about 12 seconds, which is acceptable. If I move the two files to
any file server on our network (I tried multiple servers) and fix the links
to point to the UNC path of the Excel file, the word document will take over
10 minutes to open, which isn't acceptable.

So my question be why is performance so bad from UNC paths? I know it's not
our file servers because no other files have this kind of problem opening,
etc.

I've also tried this on various operating systems (Windows XP, Vista, and
Windows Server 2003 via Citrix), all with the same results.

Thanks,
Aaron LaBeau
Software Analyst/DBA
Schenck Business Solutions