Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
agarwalsau agarwalsau is offline

Default Extacting data from word document

I am using MS word 2007. I write a huge number of letters with different
reference No. and subjects (these fields are in text format). I would
like to extract this data from every document saved on the computer and
make a database of it in access or excel or even word, which ever is
simple and possible. How do I go about it? It is like the opposite of
mail merge!

--
agarwalsau
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

How and where exactly is this information stored in the documents? Is it
always in the same place? How can it be identified?

agarwalsau wrote:
I am using MS word 2007. I write a huge number of letters with
different reference No. and subjects (these fields are in text
format). I would like to extract this data from every document saved
on the computer and make a database of it in access or excel or even
word, which ever is simple and possible. How do I go about it? It is
like the opposite of mail merge!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
agarwalsau[_2_] agarwalsau[_2_] is offline

agarwalsau wrote:-
I am using MS word 2007. I write a huge number of letters with
different reference No. and subjects (these fields are in text
format). I would like to extract this data from every document saved
on the computer and make a database of it in access or excel or even
word, which ever is simple and possible. How do I go about it? It is
like the opposite of mail merge! -

Yes all documents are on the same template with a reference line as the
first line at the top and a subject line after the address line in the
template starting with the word subject

--
agarwalsau
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The reference that you want to extract is the very first line of the
document?
Then there is an address? How many lines does the address take?
Then there is a subject that you want to store?
Can you mail me a sample document to the link on my web site home page and
tell me *exactly* what you want to store?

agarwalsau wrote:-
I am using MS word 2007. I write a huge number of letters with
different reference No. and subjects (these fields are in text
format). I would like to extract this data from every document saved
on the computer and make a database of it in access or excel or even
word, which ever is simple and possible. How do I go about it? It is
like the opposite of mail merge! -

Yes all documents are on the same template with a reference line as
the first line at the top and a subject line after the address line
in the template starting with the word subject

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
agarwalsau[_3_] agarwalsau[_3_] is offline

agarwalsau wrote:-
I am using MS word 2007. I write a huge number of letters with
different reference No. and subjects (these fields are in text
format). I would like to extract this data from every document saved
on the computer and make a database of it in access or excel or even
word, which ever is simple and possible. How do I go about it? It is
like the opposite of mail merge! --

Yes all documents are on the same template with a reference line as
the first line at the top and a subject line after the address line
in the template starting with the word subject -

Thanx for the macro. It works perfectly, but had to fine tune it
according to my requirement, as after running the macro i realized that
some doc didin't have either the reference or the subject. Secondly the
subject line sometimes
started with "sub:", Also there were times when body of the letter had
the word "subject" or the reference to the reference no of another
letter . But fixing the macro to take care of all that was easy once
you have the basic framework. Permit me to post the macro on the forum
as i know it would be very useful in huge number of other applications.
One of them I have realized is:- that now i can get/extract a mailing
list from all my letters itself.
Thanx once again

--
agarwalsau

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I did ask if all the documents were the same

I'll post the basic code on my web site for future reference.