Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J.Bennett J.Bennett is offline

Default How can I change the defaults for an envelope and keep them?

When I print #10 envelopes in the new version of Word,I have to change the
default for the "from top" delivery address from auto to 1.8. I do this
every time I print an envelope. What I'm wondering is, can I set that
default from "auto" to the 1.8 and keep it so it will be there every time?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
J.Bennett
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To do this you'll have to modify the Envelope Address style, which uses a
frame for positioning. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html for general
instructions. In the Modify Style dialog, click Format and choose Frame,
then set the position of the frame as desired.

"J.Bennett" wrote in message
When I print #10 envelopes in the new version of Word,I have to change the
default for the "from top" delivery address from auto to 1.8. I do this
every time I print an envelope. What I'm wondering is, can I set that
default from "auto" to the 1.8 and keep it so it will be there every time?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
J.Bennett

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I said, Shauna's article explains the general principles. You do this
just about the same in Word 2007. Open the Styles window, choose Manage
Styles, select Envelope Address and proceed from there.

"J.Bennett" wrote in message
When I print #10 envelopes in the new version of Word,I have to change
the
default for the "from top" delivery address from auto to 1.8. I do
this
every time I print an envelope. What I'm wondering is, can I set that
default from "auto" to the 1.8 and keep it so it will be there every
time?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
J.Bennett

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J.Bennett J.Bennett is offline

Suzanne I finally was able to do as you stated, now how do I save it? I went
though all the steps and finally found the frame to change the height of the
wording, but cannot find a way to save it. I have to be in a word document
to get into the Delivery Address frame, but again no where to save it back to
Delivery Address frame, it will only ask, when you're done, if you want to
save changes to document XXX.

"J.Bennett" wrote in message
When I print #10 envelopes in the new version of Word,I have to change
the
default for the "from top" delivery address from auto to 1.8. I do
this
every time I print an envelope. What I'm wondering is, can I set that
default from "auto" to the 1.8 and keep it so it will be there every
time?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
J.Bennett

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think you missed that you have to modify the frame in the Envelope Address
style, not just in a document. When you modify the style, choose the radio
button for "New documents based on this template." Assuming the template in
question is Normal.dotm, that will cover envelopes created thereafter.

Again, here are the steps:

1. On the Home tab of the Ribbon, click the arrow below Change Styles in the
Styles group to open the Styles window/pane.

2. At the bottom of that window, mouse over the buttons till you find the
one that shows the ScreenTip "Manage Styles" and click on it.

3. On the Edit tab, choose the sort order to Alphabetical and scroll down
(or up) to Envelope Address.

4. Select Envelope Address and click Modify...

5. In the Modify Style dialog, click the Format button in the lower left
corner.

6. Choose Frame.

7. In the Frame dialog, change the vertical position (and size) as desired.
Note that by default the frame is formatted as Bottom relative to Margin. If
you want to leave it there (a good idea) and move it lower, then you need to
reduce the height.

8. After making the desired modifications, OK out of the Frame dialog,
choose the "New documents based on this template" button, and OK out.

If it's actually the Envelope Return style you want to modify, then you can
use Format | Paragraph to add some Space Before. You can't make it any
closer to the top without changing the envelope margins, which are set by
Word at 0.25" top and 0.5" left (you can override the left margin by giving
the Envelope Return style a negative left indent), but I doubt that your
printer can print much closer to the top than that, anyway.

"J.Bennett" wrote in message
When I print #10 envelopes in the new version of Word,I have to
change
the
default for the "from top" delivery address from auto to 1.8. I do
this
every time I print an envelope. What I'm wondering is, can I set
that
default from "auto" to the 1.8 and keep it so it will be there every
time?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
J.Bennett

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Office Productivity Consultant Office Productivity Consultant is offline

I have tried the same thing in letterhead templates that I have created. Yet,
every time I create an envelope from the letterhead or any other template
that I have updated with the new envelope address style, the style gets
changed back to the wrong thing as soon as I use the envelope feature.
I have checked the style before I run the envelope feature and then again
after I use the envelope feature and it always changes.
--
Judy L

"J.Bennett" wrote in message
When I print #10 envelopes in the new version of Word,I have to
change
the
default for the "from top" delivery address from auto to 1.8. I do
this
every time I print an envelope. What I'm wondering is, can I set
that
default from "auto" to the 1.8 and keep it so it will be there every
time?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
J.Bennett

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect that the Envelope dialog uses the Envelope Address style from
Normal.dot, not the letterhead template. Try changing it in a Blank Document
(based on Normal.dot) and save that to the template.

"J.Bennett" wrote in message
When I print #10 envelopes in the new version of Word,I have to
change
the
default for the "from top" delivery address from auto to 1.8. I
do
this
every time I print an envelope. What I'm wondering is, can I set
that
default from "auto" to the 1.8 and keep it so it will be there
every
time?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
J.Bennett

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Office Productivity Consultant Office Productivity Consultant is offline

Tried that. It didn't work. Any other ideas? I really appreciate the the
help. I am using Word 2007 so I updated both the letterhead template and the
Normal.dotm
--
Judy L

"J.Bennett" wrote in message
When I print #10 envelopes in the new version of Word,I have to
change
the
default for the "from top" delivery address from auto to 1.8. I
do
this
every time I print an envelope. What I'm wondering is, can I set
that
default from "auto" to the 1.8 and keep it so it will be there
every
time?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.
J.Bennett

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

We've seen this before with both envelopes and labels, and I can't remember
what the solution turned out to be. For labels, it was definitely an issue
with the Normal style having been changed in the document/template.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Office Productivity Consultant Office Productivity Consultant is offline

I am doing this for a client and they never use the Normal template. They
start all documents from other templates. I tried changed the envelope
address style in Normal.dotm just to be sure. I checked the style in a
document that I based on the Normal.dotm file before I used the envelope
feature and it showed the changes. Then I used the envelope feature and it
changed the style.
--
Judy L

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is an issue that just bamboozles me, as I haven't yet figured out the
logic of it. Where is Beth Melton when you need her?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suspect that the Envelope dialog uses the Envelope Address style
from
Normal.dot, not the letterhead template. Try changing it in a Blank
Document
(based on Normal.dot) and save that to the template.

"Office Productivity Consultant"
t.com wrote in
message