Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] drdavedick@gmail.com is offline

Default Caption numbering problem in Word 2003

I am trying to get my numbering to work correctly in Word 2003 using
InsertCaption and Headings with outline numbering. I want my
captions to include the chapter numbering up to level 2. The problem
is that when I have a figure caption after a Heading 1 but before a
Heading 2, the caption is numbered according to the previous chapter.

It looks like this:

1 HEADING 1
1.1 HEADING 2
Figure 1.1-1 - This is OK
1.2 HEADING 2
Figure 1.2-1 - This is OK
2 HEADING 1
Figure 1.2-1 - Why isn't this 2-1 or 2.0-1?
2.1 HEADING 2
Figure 2.1-1 - This is OK
Figure 2.1-2 - This is OK
2.2 HEADING 2
3 HEADING 1

How can I get the captions between 2 and 2.1 to come out right. Is
this a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Word, captions with heading numbering always include a *specific* heading
number. In other words, Word always references the "current" Heading 2
paragraph, even it is found below the "wrong" Heading 1 paragraph (which is
exactly what is happening in your example). You will have to add a Heading 2
paragraph to text.

Alternatively, create a custom caption for use directly below Heading 1
paragraphs (but note that you will then have to manually adjust the restarts
for your captions).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP